Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anorexia nervosa and bulimia - radics2012
Can anyone explain the treatment for anorexia and bulimia ?? I heard somewhere that bulimia treated with drug therapy ????

Please clarify !!!!
Is only bulimia treated with drug therapy ???
On Uworld it says, first try to correct electrolyte imbalances, hypotension if associated, but the most effective treatment is cognitive behavior therapy , also can add fluoxetine. Hope this helps.
Archer review says no drug treatment for anorexia and for bulimia should be treated with Ssri ..is that correct ? MTB 3 says even for anorexia SsRi fluoxetine prevent relapses.
Yes bless all , I agree correcting electrolyte abnormalities ,I've hydration and adding SsRI helps for bulimia as well as behavioral psychotherapy .is there anything different for anorexia .

Thanks
For Anorexia, we do admit the pt if wt less than 85% and correct elcetrolytes and wt gain, psychotherapy. Can treat both but treatment is more responisve/effective in Bulimia.
Thanks ..it helps ...
Yes bulimia is treated with drug therapy and it is also treated with psychotherapy. The treatment of bulimia is handled outside hospitals. Unless the case is severe then only it is handled in hospital. But it is not same for Anorexia nervosa, it needs hospitalization. For more information just checkout http://www.medstorerx.com, it is online drugstore which deals with medication for men and women health related issues.
Yes, Bulimia is treated with SSRI, behavioral therapy and/or supportive psychotherapy. Correcting any medical issues ie electrolyte imbalance, etc is always a priority. For anorexia, the pt can be admitted if weight is less than 85%-90% IBW. Again correcting electrolyte imbalance and treating medical issues is important. It is controversial, but zyprexa has been used in many anorexics for weight gain, and psychiatric treatment. I don't think step 3 will test you on that, but one of my CCS cases on Step 3 was a teenage girl with bulimia, and the case ended when I prescribed prozac.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »