Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
q.3_____________? - sarim
A myocardial infarction involving the "Posterior Descending Artery" is more likely to cause mitral regurgitation.

How ?

(Just for revision).

Posterior Mitral leaflet dysfunction ??
posteromedial papillary muscle of mitral valve supplied by it ,,
the posteromedial papillary muscle is usually supplied only by the PDA
honestly I don't know that.Where have you read it from ?
Just read it from the other post...

Terminal branches of the RCA supply the posteromedial papillary muscle of the left ventricle. The LAD artery supplies the anterolateral papillary muscle of the right ventricle.
Thank you so much for the information,Berserker.
the post wall and the papillary muscle supplied but pdca

its in goljan audios as well
Yes you are right.I think I heard it in Goljian audio
Yes.

The anterolateral papillary muscle more frequently receives two blood supplies: left anterior descending (LAD) artery and the left circumflex artery (LCX).[3] It is therefore more frequently resistant to coronary ischemia (insufficiency of oxygen-rich blood). On the other hand, the posteromedial papillary muscle is usually supplied only by the PDA.[3] This makes the posteromedial papillary muscle significantly more susceptible to ischemia. The clinical significance of this is that a myocardial infarction involving the PDA is more likely to cause mitral regurgitation.

*So if a clinical scenario is given

where the pt had a MI and say like on 3rd day of his hospitalization had a sudden onset of Shortness of breath, bibasilar rales and an apical pansystolic murmur radiating to the axilla..........think of New Onset Mitral Regurgitation and in the above setting "Papillary Muscle Dysfxn or rupture is the most common cz.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »