Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME Question....Form 11 block 2 ! - kindmd
25yr old dude w/ type I diabetes comes to you cuz of poor diabetic control for 3 months. He has ketones in his urine, and his blood glucose conc. has been in 200-400 mg/dl range, particularly after exercise. he has been receiving 2 injections of insulin daily. Physical exam shows no abnormalities. His HA1C is 12%. After exercising on treadmill for 45 minutes, that patient has a increase in serum glucose from 175 to 225 mg/dl. Which of the following hepatic enzymes is most likely elevated initially by exercise in this patient?

A. Debranching ezyme
B. Phopholicpase C
C. Phosphorylase kinase
D. Portein Kinase B

****I JUST WANT AN EXPLANATION FOR A plz....In 1st aid, it mentions that debranching enzyme is used in converting to glucose*****
Explain A plz....!
debranching enzyme is used to degrade glycogen to glucose .......
yeah so wouldn't that be also used when you want glucose during exercise ?
yes ,,its
ccc
debranching enzyme only breaks the 1,6 glucosidic bonds (at the branch points), whereas muscle phosphorylase is the rate limiting enzyme of glycogenolysis that releases G-1-P by breaking a 1.4 glycosidic linkages.
Still confused guys.....

Ok, if u say which is activated 1st, then ok, i would say choice C.....But A would be activated as well, it's just it would be a bit "later down the road"....is tht wht the question is going behind ?
some one....clear my confusion !!!
debranching enzyme is the only enzyme that release free glucose directly by cleaving 1,6 glucosidic bond at branch point

but is it affected by exercise ?????/
i dont know
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »