Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KapEthics question - aicilef
73. A 60 year old male physician who is an internish has had a female pt for the last 20 yrs. Both lost their spouces several yrs ago. They start spending time together outside the office. THe female pt wants to begin a sexual/romantic relationship with the physician .
what should he tell her?
a. I can never do that with you ,ever
b . we can be social, but not sexual
c. we need the ethics board's approval first
d. i cannot date you and be your doctor- maybe in the future we can date, after you get another doctor
e. because this is your initiative we can begin dating

What is the right answer??
Also, I had a question about a dad and his son (12 y/o) refusing blood b/c they were jehovah witnesses.....and the answer was that you don't have to give blood to the dad, but should for the kid.
Is that also true if the dad refuses the blood for the child rather than the child refusing it?
D.....
yes of course ...even if child refuse blood , the physician must give the blood to child because the child is only minor ( less than 18 yrs )...not legally competent!
why is it D?
I thought that as physicians, we are not supposed to say that b/c the patient might think that there might be a chance that she might be able to date the physician if she finds another doctor.

- How about if the dad refuses the tx for the child? should the physician still give the blood.

D,

for psychiatrist they can never build a relationship with their patient, for rest of physicians its 2 years time period, am i right.
i agree with what Thein7thein said but with the first question... the physician shouldn't be spending time with the patient outside his office in the first place... nd id pick option D but my only concern is the last portion of the sentence "after you get another doctor"
romantic relationship with former patient is acceptable if the patient is not your patient now!
romantic relationship with former PSYCHIATRIC patient is NEVER acceptable!

yes..even if the dad refuse , you must give blood to child
@zen789 the part about "after you get another doctor" was what made me question the answer.

The correct answer in the Kapethics packet was D but I just remember while i was doing UW that they always said that physicians can't date patients in any situation and should not lead them into thinking that they can if they are not their doctors anymore.
AA? @thein7thein....kaplan clearly states that dr cant have a reltn wid his pt and shud reply by saying its never possible...Dr. daugherty mentions it in videos...isnt it right???

plz reply
u can have romantic relationship with your patient when the patient is not your patient Smile
So.we have a chance with patient haha
if not, a famous physician who have a lot of patients will lose apportunity to flirt with girls...am i right??

ethics rules are made by meaningful thoughts...

the real thing is as i say above.... u have apportunity!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »