Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME 13 discussion - mr821
- Q1: Variable expression: Just like what it says. Two people having the same genetic disease (like TS) can have various degrees of severity. Incomplete penetrance occurs when a person who has the disease genotype doesn't display the phenotype. Since both the mother and the child show phenotypic features of the disease, this is not true for this family. A typical example of incomplete penetrance is with retinoblastoma. Father of a child who is diagnosed with retinoblastoma may carry the genetic alteration of the disease, but may not show it. (Choice E)

- Q2: Musculoskeletal symptoms + GERD most likely means scleroderma. Therefore, both peristalsis and LES tone would decrease. (Choice E)

- Q3: History of poorly controlled hypertension with this clinical picture is typical for heart failure. Pulmonary findings support the presence of pulmonary edema (Choice D).

- Q4: Without the picture, it's hard to say, but my guess is mesial temporal sclerosis (Choice C), since this finding is very common in patients with seizures.
@ fuzuli again man thanks, great explanations! if you don't mind, or anyone, i got a couple more. I looked them up but just wanna be sure, exams on saturday! would love any help thanks!

Two clinical trials, Trial X and Trial Y, are conducted to assess the potential therapeutic efficiency of a new experimental antibiotic compared to the currently used antibiotics for treatment of urinary tract infections. The two studies are identical, except the statistical power is 0.8 in Study X, and 0.9 in Study Y. Which of the following is the most accurate conclusion regarding the likelihood of a type II error?
A)Greater in Trial X than in Trial Y
B)Greater in Trial Y than in Trial X
C)The same in Trial X and in Trial Y (wrong)
D) Cannot be calculated from the data given

A prospective study examined the relationship between the development of gastric cancer and exposure to a diet rich in selenium. The investigators estimated the relative risk of gastic cnacer to be 0.3 in individuals with a high-selenium diet (95% confidence interval 0.1-0.8). Which of the following is the most appropriate interpretation of this finding?
A) Selenium causes gastric cancer
B) Selenium exposure is unrelated to gastric cancer
C) Selenium is associated with a higher risk of gastric cancer (wrong)
D) Selenium is associated with a lower risk of gastric cancer
E) Selenium is positively correlated with gastric cancer

A study is conducted to assess the effectiveness of Vitamin C in preventing common colds in children. Patiens are randomly assigned to receive either vitamin c or no intervention. Oputcome events (common old) are reported tby the parents on a monthly basis for 1 year. Results show that those taking vitamin C have fewer colds compared with those who received no intervention (p
Hi do any of you have nbme 13 offline that you can send me please? My email is maria_gonzalez35. Thank you very much!
1. variable expressivity? or mosaic??
2. decreased decreased. its CREST.
3. pulmonary edema secondary to heart failure.
4. b
Q: 21 Section 4

An autopsy is done on a 50 year old man who died of pneumonia despite 5 days of abx in the icu. 15 year h/o EtOH abuse. Saggital section of cerebellum is shown. Based on this pathology which of the following findings was most likely present on neurological examination?

A. Dysdiadochokinisea
B. Dysmetria finger nose finger
C. Essential tremor
D. Gait Ataxia
E. Present Romberg sign (wrong)

I know it's hard without the picture but if anyone has taken it and remembers that would be much appreciated...
gait ataxia due to alcohol damaging ant vermis.
regarding clinical trials apply formula
p=1-beta
type 11 error for x=
beta=1-p
beta =1-0.8=0.2
for y
beta =1-0.9=0.1
so ans is A GREATER TYPE 11 error for x then y
q2) confidence interval 0.1-0.8 not contain 1 so there is no relationship of selenium exposure to cancer answer is bb)

answer is selenium is associated with lower risk of gastric cancer...

just took the exam and got it right
Hello everyone,

I have a few questions I got wrong if you guys can help me, I would greatly appreciate it!

1.A study is conducted to assess the effectiveness of Vit C in preventing common colds in children. Patients are randomly assigned to receive Vit C or no intervention. Outcome events (common cold) are reported by the parents on a monthly basis for 1 year. Results show that those taking Vit C have fewer colds compared with those who received no inervention (p
ummmm....why didnt my questions post?

are we not allowed to discuss the questions?

I just typed all that for nothing!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »