Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME 13 discussion - mr821

20 subjects participate in cardiopulmonary physiology study. pulmonary circulation most likely has which of the followings characteristics compared with their brochial circulation?

a- greater branches supplying the viscera pluera
b - larger number of anatamosis with intercostal A
c - larger % of Cardiac output
d - larger number of nutrient blood to the conducting airways (wrong)
e - lower volume higher presuure system
I heard it's C. But why?
also, this one:

a patient expresses a desire to forego all invasive procedures. the physician presents the benefits of the pacemaker fully but he describes the risk and the followup in a cursory manner. the physician has violated which of the following ethical principles?

a beneficence
b informed consent
c justice
d nonmaleficence (wrong)
e veracity
Hi, mr821 and postponeit,
could u kindly post all the questions,so that we know all the questions are here...
thank you soo much.
the answer to that danniecherie is B informed consent,
the doctor basically did not explain the risks and the followup thoroughly,
the words "cursory manner" gave it away.....
how about the one lady who basically was in resp acidosis and they asked what she had....was it opiate use? or myasthenia gravis?

I put alpha-1 antitrypsin def and got it wrong...

And that one gene question with B-16 melanoma cells, i put progression and got that wrong, someone else put invasion and that was wrong too....
@sexydoc but didn't he technically inform the patient? wasn't he just adding his bias? (maybe I'm thinking too much into it.

Also, yes she did have myasthenia gravis, it gave it away when it said her symptoms worsened as the day went on. Also, it was a restrictive lung dz not obstructive because the RV would have been increased.

the one with B16 melanoma is Promotion. Not exactly sure why but that's what I've picked up from these forums.

For this, I heard it was C, but why?:

20 subjects participate in cardiopulmonary physiology study. pulmonary circulation most likely has which of the followings characteristics compared with their brochial circulation?

a- greater branches supplying the viscera pluera
b - larger number of anatamosis with intercostal A
c - larger % of Cardiac output
d - larger number of nutrient blood to the conducting airways (wrong)
e - lower volume higher presuure system

@ danniecherie

Yes it is C, i picked that and got it right.

In Brs physio, here is what it says....

-CO of the right ventricle is pulmomary blood flow.
-is equal to cardiac output of the left ventricle.
-although pressures in the pulmonary circulation are low, they are sufficient to pump the CO cuz resistance of the pulmonary circulation is proportionately low. (so this eliminates d)

I eliminated A and b cuz the opposite is correct, but i am not sure how we can eliminate D
Oh and the informed consent question, yea he informed the patient, but kind of in a half-ass way...LOL (excuse my language)

thats my way of explaining this question

he basically just kind of brushed off the risks and the follow-up with the patient not explaining it thoroughly through.... i hope u get what i am trying to say

so he did add his own bias to the decision making, so that is a violation of the informed consent
@sexydoc ok got it! lol THANKS!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »