Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MGH observership. - uptodate
Has anyone done observership in MGH?
Is it worth paying more than 7K for it?
Will they give us LOR after it?
I really appreciate your advice. Thanks.
Sounds like a rip-off. One month for that much $$??? They will gladly take your $7K and you may or may not get a LOR. if you are only observing (not true USCE) you can't do anything, so how can they write a good LOR anyway?
IMMED HELP for Unmatched.
MGH is a great institution but as an observer you are still quite limited in what you can and can not do. There are a lot of places (university hospitals, community programs) that have observerships for free or much less cost. I list 40 observership programs on a post on my blog im-for-imgs.com

When faculty writes a letter for an observer it should state something like "Observers at our institution may not participate in direct patient care. As such, I am not able to comment on Dr. XYZ’s clinical examination skills." When I see this in a letter then I know that the letter writer is being honest.

That being said the letter writer can and often does state something like the following "On rounds however, Dr. XYZ quickly established him/herself as a knowledgeable, thoughtful and effective physician. Dr. XYZ is bright and industrious and his/her clinical knowledge is superb."

So letter writers can and do comment on things that are important for a PD to know about a candidate to the limits of what is allowed for an observer. The physician whom the observer has worked with has seen the candidate in "action" to a point and in general will try to convey positive impressions of that candidate.

may be great but i would imgaine FMG portal or americlerkships would offer you way more opportunities and letters for that amount
good luck
What is MGH? My suggestion.. look up for physicians in your are on the internet. call atleast 50-60 of them n leave a message with your phone no with the receptionist. Prepare a brief intro of yourself. very few of them will call back and one or two will allow you to observe them. I did one year of externship, nine months of observership, have been doing a research for the last eight months... didnt pay a single penny. You might have to keep trying for a few weeks but you will find something. Prepare your CV. Go to the local universities n ask for the research building. find out what researches are going on, go talk to those professors in person, find out about their ongoing researches and impress them with your interest in their project. you can also email them but not many people reply coz they are busy. It seems very difficult but in the beginning n also you might get frustrated because most people will say no but keep trying and you will find something. good luck. I personally dont think you need to pay big bucks for observerships n externships.
Pl excuse my ignorance. Mass gen Hospital is a great institution but I'm not sure if it is worth paying 7K.
Hi,

If interested in research positions, contact me at MariaRez2010. We have positions in different states and specialties. Some are in the top 5 universities in the US. Provide some brief info about yourself, your visa status, your USMLE scores, what (sub)specialty, which state, when you want to start and for how long. In the subject, please mention what you’re looking for. For example: “Endocrine research in Chicago.”

We do have paid positions too, but you need to have had a prior experience in lab research. Otherwise, it's unlikely you can get a paid position. Also remember the visa limitation (you can't get paid on all visas). Some positions are non-paid initially, but may become paid with time as you gain experience and prove yourself to be productive.

We can provide a list of customers that you can contact for feedback about the service. These customers approved to be references, otherwise, we don't disclose any private information of any of our old customers without their knowledge and consent.

Thank you.
Hi,

If interested in research positions, contact me at MariaRez2010. We have positions in different states and specialties. Some are in the top 5 universities in the US. Provide some brief info about yourself, your visa status, your USMLE scores, what (sub)specialty, which state, when you want to start and for how long. In the subject, please mention what you’re looking for. For example: “Endocrine research in Chicago.”

We do have paid positions too, but you need to have had a prior experience in lab research. Otherwise, it's unlikely you can get a paid position. Also remember the visa limitation (you can't get paid on all visas). Some positions are non-paid initially, but may become paid with time as you gain experience and prove yourself to be productive.

We can provide a list of customers that you can contact for feedback about the service. These customers approved to be references, otherwise, we don't disclose any private information of any of our old customers without their knowledge and consent.

Thank you.
Thank you everyone for your sincere advice! I appreciate. OK, I will try free observerships at first, as mentioned by nehmemorial and trendydoc. I hope I'll get one. Never give upSmile
GL to all!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »