Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
kaplan LN - samideb12
A 500 mg dose of a drug has therapeutic efficacy for 6 hour.If the half-life of the drug is 8 hr ,for how long would a 1 gm dose be effective ?
A.8 hr
B,12 hr
C.14 hr
D.16 hr
E.24 hr
Can someone help me understand this question.I always fail to figure it out.Thank you in advance.
500 mg TE: = 6 hours ...t 1/2 = 8 hours
1 gram = 1,000 mg

so basically you want to know how long 1,000 mg be effective ...
in this the half life is basically a trick part... so u ignore it and concentrate on TE

if 500 has TE of 6 hours then 1,000 would have TE of 12 hours....

so answer :

BBBBB

if im wrong please correct me i'd also like to know but thats how i would work the problem!!!!

0 hr - 1000mg
8 hr - 500mg

So we have the initial 8 hours that the drug will be working for before the half life is reached, and after that, when there is 500mg left over, it will work for an additional 6 hours.

8hr + 6hr = 14 hr

Answer: CC
so i tried the question and got it wrong DARN!!!!!

the explanation in kaplan makes sense though!!! ill wait for others to explain and answer!!
darn ur good mutation.... as ive stated before ur ready!!

1 gram=1000mg

500 mg has theraputic efficacy....for 6 hours
1000mg............first half life.....8 hours.....>500.......second half life..............8 hours.....250
.............................................8............................................+........6=14....................
Hello,

Could you please post correct answer and explanation?

Thank you so much,

Elpida
Hi Elpida

This Q is from Kaplan pharma LN. Please look in the Practice Questions of Section 1 "General Principles." It is Q # 10 and you will find its answer there.

Good luck.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »