Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old IMGs and their chances of getting Residency - giroop2003
Hello all
I have graduated in 2000 and I have been studying continuously starting from Diploma in Family Medicine, Post Graduation certificate in Accident and Emergency Medicine, ALS, ATLS, FCCS, ADAMS, ITLS, MRCGP UK, MRCP UK, Diploma in Occupational Medicine, I have involved in forming guidelines for Antibiotics, Audit on URTI, Use of Quinolones, Misuse of X-ray for back Pain, Chest pain algorithm at primary care.

But I feel quite depressed when I read lot of sad story of many Old IMGs on USMLE FORUMS, I have scored 236 in step 1 and hoping to do better in CK and CS but feeling depressed after reading lot of stories on Forums. I have resigned from present job which is ACGME following hospital and also accredited by JCI to concentrate more on USMLE and to do some USCE as I did not got any leave.

I am also thinking of joining IMG Prep as I read in some Forum that they are not very great but in short they are helpful for Old IMG for preparing Proper application, writing personal statement and applyingright program for Old IMG

Guys please give your opinion

Thank you in advance

Dr.Gireesh
What was ur job title Dr. Gireesh? If u have been studying continuously since graduation and have documentary proofs for the same, u should ale to explain it on ur CV. Have u also been working since graduation besides taking all these exams? Ur step 1 scores good, try taking CS soon so that u can apply for this season at least, give CS in a month and take CK early so that u are ECFMG Certified before SEPT 15th. You don't wanna be another year away from applying. Also, I don't understand that if u dont apply or if ppl tell u.. "man, since ure an old grad ull never get a spot" , will u quit or u just want some support from ppl on this forum who tell u to persevere and succeed? In the end,It all comes down to ur planning and effort in so ace ur exams without wasting anymore time. Very good luck to u. There are quite a few programs that don't consider YOG. U can research those while ur taking a break from step studying on ACGME website/ forums/ internet.
I guess you can prepare a strong application. It is mainly the gap in medical experience that comes in the way of getting interviews and residency. If you have been in medical field continuously then there should be no problem and most programs will consider you. Try to clear as steps- CK & CS and apply with results and try to take Step 3 before you start interviews. I am also in similar situation but could not match this time as I did not work hard on my CV. Now I have got to work on preparing a strong application. GL.
Go and sign this petition and let's have congress increase the number of residency slots, then you won't have all these concerns. We now have 1,564 signatures. We now need 23,436 more by May 11, 2012. Tell your friends, your parents, your spouse, your siblings, cousins, uncles, aunts, everybody you know (as long as they're over 13) to sign this petition. Here's the link to sign this petition: http://wh.gov/QL0.

You can do it and you will!
A to Z Guide to Getting a Residency

See top result

https://www.usmleforum.com/HAcwvw

i.e.,
a. Visa
b. Obama Care and Residency

1. Old grads
2.USMLEs
3.USCE
4.ECFMG
5.Efficient residency search
6.LORs
7.Personal Statements
8.Salaries of MDs
9.Back-up Professional careers for unmatched
10.Back-up paid Clinical Positions in Practices for those with MD but not in residency
yeah, Gireesh, I think you are getting bogged down by possibilities even before you have all your cards on hand. Dont get disheartened because YOG is one factor. If you are able to work on other issues, then your chances will go up. by the way - how old is old grad for you?
never mind - i read it 2000. so that makes it 12 years out. I know of 2 folks who got FM residency and they were about that year for graduation
giroop2003 - you are on the right track, like others have supported with their advice, and so do not worry too much.
YOG is a critical issue, but the way you overcome it is with high scores and strong LORs from USCE and i think you have great step 1 scores. Do the same for the rest of the steps and apply early (sep 15th). My cousin, who also was in England and had an old YOG matched into a university program last year in pediatrics!! So never give up and work hard Smile
Hi Guys Lots of Inspiration, Lots good advice.

Thank you very muchhhhhhhh
Hey I am pretty much in same boat. My YOG is 2006. This was my second match. Scores 84/79/84. 1 year of usce. 9 months of clinical research, 2 months extennship and 1 month observership. Have 4 US lor but still went unmatched. I am thinking what are my chances and should i continue with reserch or take some externship. Please advice
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »