Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME F1B1Q41- 50yo woman with dyspnea - maritzasf
Q41.

A 50-year-old woman has had progressive dyspnea over the past 2 weeks and constant, sharp chest pain for 4 days. The pain is localized to the center of the chest and is worse while supine. She underwent a right, modified radical mastectomy and adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer 3 years ago. She has a history of hypothyroidism treated with thyroid replacement therapy. She has smoked one pack of cigarettes daily for 30 years and drinks two ounces of alcohol daily. She is dyspneic and diaphoretic. Her temperature is 37.2 C (99 F), blood pressure is 90/70 mm Hg with a pulsus paradoxus of 20 mm Hg, pulse is 110/min, and respirations are 28/min. Examination shows jugular venous distention to the angle of the mandible. The liver span is 14 cm with 4 cm of shifting abdominal dullness. Arterial blood gas analysis on room air shows a pH of 7.50, PCO2 of 30 mm Hg, and PO2 of 70 mm Hg. An x-ray film of the chest shows an enlarged cardiac silhouette with a globular configuration. An ECG shows sinus tachycardia with nonspecific ST-segment changes diffusely. Which of the following is the most appropriate next step in management?

A ) Echocardiography
B ) CT scan of the abdomen
C ) Ventilation-perfusion lung scans
D ) Bronchoscopy
E ) Paracentesis
E
i would pick A if the pt is more stable than she's is
e.
Causes of increased pericardial effusion include hypothyroidism, physical trauma (either penetrating trauma involving the pericardium or blunt chest trauma), pericarditis (inflammation of the pericardium), iatrogenic trauma (during an invasive procedure), and myocardial rupture.
Assessment findings with cardiac tamponade include tachycardia, distant or muffled heart sounds, jugular vein distention and a falling BP, accompanied by paradoxical pulse (a drop in inspiratory BP by greater than 10 mmHg).
wikipedia
Answer:
a) Echocardiography

Our pt main chief complaints are progressive dyspnea over the past 2 weeks and constant, sharp chest pain for the last 4 days.

We can easily identify the Beck's triad (Hypotension, Increased JVD and Muffled heart sounds), plus Pulsus Paradoxus and narrow pulse pressure. The Xray will give us even more clues to the Dx. This is a Cardiac Tamponade. So we need to do a Pericardiocentesis but prior to this, we should confirm the presence of pericardial effusion on an Echo to proceed with the Pericardiocentesis.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beck's Triad? Think about: Tamponade
 Hypotension
 Increased JVD
 Muffled heart sounds
Narrowing pulse pressure may also be observed

What life-threatening complication of pericarditis causes distant heart sounds, JVD, hypotension, Pulsus paradoxus, and elevated central venous pressure (CVP) on inspiration?
Cardiac Tamponade (Beck’s triad = JVD, hypotension, muffled heart sounds)

What is the definitive treatment for acute decompensation in a patient with cardiac tamponade?
Pericardiocentesis
disageed this time
yes the best test to confrim the diag is echo but you dont have time for it pt may die under the echo meanwhile you have evrything to prove it is tamponade correct me if i am wrong
i think finding pulsus paradoxus is sufficient to make dx (though not specific for tamponade)
but pericardiocentensis is needed acutely other wise pt will die cuz no CO
Paracentesis will fix the ascitis, but how does it help to relief the main problem that is the Cardiac Tamponade?

you will go for paacentesis in emergency situation to save the pt life after that you have top go for pericardial window so you will do an echo and then window and if the pt is stable enough then you can forget about paracentesis and go for window which is not the case most of the time and I mean para of pericardial effusion not ascities
So you think removing fluid from her peritoneal cavity with help the cardiac tamponade?

You know pericardiocentesis is done under ultrasound guidance (Echo), so that's why I think they will do both at the same time.

Well, these qs don't have an answer, so we just have to give it our best shot.
Thanks for the discussion guys Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »