Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME 17 PLEASE HELP! STEP 1 in 5 days!! - abcmed
1. A 70yo man dies in a motor vehicle collision. He had been undergoing evaluation for occult blood in the stool. A photograph of a section of transverse colon obtained at autopsy is shown (not sure how to attach so this question is for anyone who did NBME17). Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?

a hyperplastic polyp
b inflammatory pseudopolyp (wrong)
c juvenile polyp
d peutz jeghers syndrome
e tubular adenoma

2. A 60yo man comes to the physician because of a 1 mo history of progressive shortness of breath with exertion. Exam of chest shows:
Breath sounds--decreased in R lung base, normal in L lung base
Percussion note--dullness in R lung base, normal in L lung base
Tactile fremitus--decreased in R lung base, normal in L lung base
Adventitious sounds--none in R lung base, crackles in L lung base

Which is diagnosis?
a asthmatic bronchitis (wrong)
b bronchiectasis
c bullous emphysema
d chronic bronchitis
e lobar pneumonia
f pleural effusion (I'm thinking maybe this? not sure why crackles heard in L lung but not R lung though)
g pneumothorax
h pulmonary embolism

3. A previously healthy 48 yo nulligravid woman comes to the physician because of excessive uterine bleeding for 3 mo. She says the bleeding occurs during her menses and at irregular intervals. Menses had occured at regular 28-38d intervals. BMI 27. During pelvic exam, the adnexae are nonpalpable. Endometrial currettage shows abundant tissue. Which of the following is the most likely cause of her symptoms?

a adenomyosis (wrong)
b endometrial hyperplasia
c endometrial metaplasia (maybe this? though I've no idea why it would be this over endometrial hyperplasia)
d endometriosis
e endometritis

4. A 60yo man comes to the physician because of progressive SOB during the past 3 months. he states that for many years he has worked in a shipyard. His respirations are 25/min. Bilateral basilar crepitant crackles are heard. An x ray of chest shows reticulonodular pulmonary infiltrates consistent with interstitial fibrosis. Microscopic exam of sputum shows occasional elongate structures shown (asbestos dumb-bell particles). The fibrosis was most likely initiated by interaction of these structures with which of following cell types?

a alveolar capillary endothelial cell
b alveolar macrophage
c chondrocyte
d ciliated columnar epithelial cell
e clara cell
f goblet cell
g kulchitsky cell
h squamous epithelial cell
i type I pneumocyte
j type II pneumocyte

Answers and any explanations if possible would be very much appreciated!!

1) sorry need the pic
2) i would agree and say F
3)B
4)DIRTY QUESTION!! jk lol um i would guess B. no idea why.

if im right i can explain haha but would rather not type out everything just to be it wrong. hopefully someone else can help verify the answers
bump
1. E tubular adenoma (occult blood and picture in a 70yo)
2. F pleural effusion (percussion -- dullness; tactile -- decreased (vs pneumonia - increased))
3. B endometrial hyperplasia (BMI 27, increased estrogen that will increase work of uterus), metaplasia excluded because there is no offending drug, toxin, etc...
4. B the famous macrophage

basically , the same as jazpreet.
Maybe somebody who did it online can confirm
haha monter!! we literally have the same answers everytime. hopefully they are the correct ones Big Grin. i can try explaining:
1) no pic and haven't done the exam so don't know
2) Percussion is hyperresonant usually when air is stuck in the lungs ie pneumothorax or tension. Tactile fremitus is heard in consolidation ie lobar pneumonia. Also, some of the choices listed are all COPD, and based on the information, you cannot exclude or include any one of them so that automatically knocks them out.

3)she is 48 and still having menses. endometrial hyperplasia is estrogen sensitive and typically seen in post menopausal women or around that time period. it presents as uterine bleeding (excessive) and ofcourse seen typically in menses since estrogen is elevated at that time. adenomyosis doesn't present as bleeding.

4) asbestos effects lower lungs and you know for a partical to affect the lower lungs it has to be less than 2.5 mew/micro meters (don't know unit im sorry). and alveolar macrophages are responsible for helping to clear the lower lobes Smile
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!! You are all so awesome Smile
np Smile
Hiiiā€¦!!! I am preparing for USMLE. I have been finding it difficult in some of the topics. I am sure others might behaving been some doubts as well. I found study partners with whom I study to prepare for my exams.

My best wishes.
guys anyone can forward me the nbme16 offline? I'll greatly appreciate it.. my email ...urky2005.....thank you!!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »