Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME 12 BLOCK 2 Q 32- ???Neurogenic bladder or BPH - agboolalai
The patient's history shows that past medical history is UNREMARKABLE, prostate is moderately and symmetrically enlarged WITHOUT NODULES. Symptoms only started 12hours ago....
Could this be a neurogenic bladder- inability to void urine?
anyone?
it is neurogenic bladder cos it is rapid onset, bph would be more insidious in its onset. wish u added the patient's age.
Hi! I took NBME last weekend. I marked neurogenic bladder but they consider it wrong in the feedback.
Some have the correct answer?
the patient's age is 75yrs, other options there are BPH, bladder cancer, urolithiasis and RCC.
Someone also claimed to make urolithiasis and got it wrong, I also feel it is neurogenic bladder but crazy4step1 just said it is wrong. pls any suggestion?
Thanks.
32. A previously healthy 75-year-old man is brought to the emergency department by his wife because of a 12-hour history of confusion. Medical history is otherwise
unremarKable. He is stuporous. Physical examination shows a mar1c.edly distended bladder up to the umbilicus. The prostate gland is moderately and symmetrically
enlarged without nodules. Laboratory evaluation shows a serum creatinine concentration of 10.5 mgfdL and a serum urea nitrogen (BUN) concentration of 130 mgfdL.
Urinalysis shows no abnormalities. Which of the fo llowing is the most likely diagnosis?
o A) Benign prostatic hyperplasia
o B) Bladder malignancy
o C) Neurogenic bladder
o 0) Renal cell carcinoma
o E) Urolith iasis

BPH???
I took the exam online ...... It is BPH
is it possible that the BPH has created a vesical globe, which got infected, and created a septic choc? explaining the confusion and the renal insufficiency?
thanks Sopras I guess in questions like this, it is better to choose the commonest cause of a presentation which in this case is BPH.
electrolyte imbalance or increased BUN can cause confusion.

Uremia:
Fatigue[3]
Peripheral neuropathy[3]
Decreased mental acuity[3]
Seizures[3]
Anorexia[3]
Nausea[3]
Decreased taste and smell[3]
Cramps[3]
Restless legs,[3] potentially due to decreased muscle membrane potential[3]
Sleep disturbance[3]
Coma[3]