to drelyk...one request from u - resi_hopeful
respected dr

where shud we do

rashes
immunology
vtamins

from

thank u dr.
You're asking the wrong person!! I knew nothing about that stuff!!
Immunology- I suggest just knowing the two pages from usmle step 1- ipthere were two pages one with all the immunology and one with all the lysosomal and glycogen storage diseases.
Rashes- it's more infections and their associated skin conditions , like crohns and erythema nodosum or scarlet fever , etc
Vitamins- again for my step 1 I had written a page of symptoms associated with firm def. I will try and type it up tomorrow :-)
thank u so much..
Below is my summary of Vit B deficiencies. I haven't written Vit D or C as i think we all know about them.

Vitamin Deficiencies:
B1 (thiamine)- Wernickes- Trio of Opthalmoplegia (nystagmus), ataxia and dementia.
Beri Beri - Convulsions and dry skin
WET Beri beri- Neuropathy , dilated cardiomyopathy
DRY beri beri- Polyneuritis, symmetrical muscles wasting
Check B1 levels with Transketolase and Erythrocute Transketolase activity.

B2 (Riboflavin)- Trio of chemises, cheilosis (lips), angular stomatitis +/- seorrhic dermatitis.

B3 (Niacin)- Pellagra,burning in mouth, Trio of Diarrhea, dementia and dermatitis.

B6 (Pyridoxine)- Glossititis, dermatitis and other non specific findings.

B12- Sensory ataxia, hyper reflexia, axonal degenaration (numbness and parasthesia), positive babinski.

Vit E deficiency - loss of proprieception and vibration, spinocerebella ataxia, skeletal mypathy, pigmented retinopathy. (mimics Friedreich's ataxia)

OVERDOSE Vit A- N&V, blurred vision, alopecia, dry skin, high Lipids, papilledema, cerebral edema.

Hope that helps guys

let me know if i have made any mistakes

ellyk, you're awesome and selfless. But don't do this - we're your competition and you don't need to be helping us 'cus Step3 is graded on a curve.
after you get your score, by all means, post away and help us! Smile
thanks leesooman. but helping others is never a bad thing.
i hope i have done enough to pass.
thank u so much ellyk...words cannot express how thankful i am for you.

appreciate this and you will be rewarded in 3 weeks i can assure u.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »