Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discuss NBME F3 B1 - grazie
OH ok!! Thank you I just was reading Form 2 and put Endometrial for that one and got it right!! SO I was confused.. your the best for explaining thank you! Had no idea what a quail pill was had to google it hehe! I would love that on my boards to get extra pts hehe
The good "Angelica China" Smile

Thank you Alexa! you made me read about this product. Kind of a "Phytoestrogen"
Didn't know it was so popular and used even in US Wink
Cool!

Dong quai, Angelica sinensis

PMS Formula

Description: Dong quai, prepared from the root of Angelica sinensis, has a long history of use in Chinese medicine. It is also known by the names tang-kuei, dang gui, and Chinese angelica.
It has been utilized in China as a tonic for the heart and lungs, and to treat a wide variety of illnesses, including Anemia and hypertension. It is administered commonly to treat gynecological disorders such as dysmenorrhea, irregular menses, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), and menopausal symptoms (e.g., vasomotor hot flashes). In the US, the most commonly promoted use is for symptoms related to menopause; however, the North American Menopause Society does not recommend the use of dong quai for this indication. Other reported uses include the treatment of ischemic stroke and constipation.

Actions: Dong quai extracts have been reported to alter the binding of estradiol to estrogen-receptors in vitro.

Whether dong quai is a true phytoestrogen has been controversial. Dong quai extracts appear to stimulate hematopoietic progenitor cells. Several active chemical constituents of dong quai have been specifically isolated from the rhizome, and are noted to have the following activities:
Butylidenephthalide, ligustilide and butylphthalide: appear to have spasmolytic activity on smooth muscle.

Coumarin derivatives: Appear to have vasodilatory, antispasmodic and CNS stimulatory effects. One agent, osthole, directly inhibits arachidonic acid metabolism to TXA2, thus interfering with platelet aggregation. Other natural coumarins include oxypeucedanin, psoralen, and bergapten.

Ferulic acid: Has antithrombotic and anti-inflammatory properties. Appears to inhibit cyclooxygenase and thromboxane synthetase, thus reducing the production of thromboxane A2.

Furocoumatin derivatives: Sen-byak angelicole and 7-demethyl-suberosin. These agents are photosensitizers.

Nicotinic acid: has vasodilator activity.
Other constituents of root (minor): safrole; folic acid; vitamins A, B12, and E; etc.

Uses/Documentation:
* Menopause
* PMS Premenstrual Syndrome and menstrual-related symptoms
* Stroke: A sterile, extemporaneously compounded 25% IV solution of dong quai root extract, administered in a quantity of 200 ml/day, was reported to improve neurologic symptoms, increase prothrombin time, and lower plasma fibrinogen in patients with acute ischemic stroke.
LINK TO BLOCK 2

http://www.usmleforum.com/showthread.php?tid=787897
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »