Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
regarding my personal statement length - ekx
My ERAS personal statement is almost 3 pages on a microsoft word document font 11. I realize that most people would argue that it is best to keep it limited to one page or one and a half pages. However, I write really well and every bit of my essay flows and is refreshing to read; I had some significant experiences and examples that I just could not leave out or not address. I believe that it captivates the reader and when read in its entirety, it paints a good impression of me from multiple perspectives.

I would want some opinions; is it completely dangerous to have a personal statement this long (it still fits perfectly into the space allotted in the personal statement section of ERAS)? I have tried very hard to slash some parts out, but I find it excruciatingly difficult to do so and if I do, then the flow and the nature of my essay will be weakened as a whole.
Nobody will read 3 pages however well you may have written. Slash it down
^ Agree. If you can't fit your statement and tell your story in one page, you don't really write as well as you claim.
Trim it to a page (not more than 650-680 words), remove informations that is captured already on your cv, and don't blow your said achievement too much lest the PD look at you as arrogant. You'll have chance to tell them more about it during interview. They are busy and don't have time to read any PS more than a page. Good luck!
3 pages is wayyyy too long. No matter how good it many sound remember PDs have to go through sometimes thousands of applications. You have to be able to tell your story effectively inside 1-1.5 pages maximum. If you are having a hard time find a friend or someone you know in residency who can help you edit the statement. I can tell you for a fact 3 pages will be too much for any PD to read and it may affect your application.
Has to be one page only. Believe me they are not going to read it if it is too long, they review thoulsands of apps
I have something to say about this: it still fits perfectly into the space allotted in the personal statement section of ERAS

ERAS allows you a limit of 28,000 characters. That is a whole freakin 5 pages, way beyond what PDs would EVER consider reading.

I agree with the suggestions above, no more than 1 page - courier 10 on word. Keep it concise. Good luck!
Thanks guys, for the constructive feedback and for your time.
1 n 1/2 page should kind of be the max that probably around 800 to 900 word
600-650 words; no more. They have no time to read thousands of pages
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »