Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OBGYN competition !! - basma11511
please i want to know how competitive is OBGYN for IMGs?? i have to apply for it and prepare my cv for this aim or it's very competitive?? I'm still a beginner ..any advise appreciated .thanks
Obgyn is one of the most competitive specialties, especially for non-US IMGs. Last year match, only 5% of ~1230 positions matched by non-US IMGs. US IMGs have a only a slightly better chance.
It all winds down to your scores/graduation year/US clinical experience/research experience/dedication to the specialty, and if you worked/know people with contacts to program directors or residents who can advocate for you at times of interviews and rank.
With that said, with some hard work, focus and planning it is doable. I know someone with 10 yr graduation and average scores, who worked hard on research/publications and made contacts who match a university program.
thank u, i love OBGYN but as u said I'm 10 years graduate !! so i don't know if i have to look for us experience and research related to OBGYN or it's just a waste of time??!! and i have to look for back up speciality ..thank u anyway and good luck
Basma, you seems sister in Islam. That's why iam cutting the strugle short for you and give you my own advise. I have been struggling since 2011 showing up in program volunteering in research, have three publication. Still could not find my place. And no hopes either and no one in that program is welling to recommend me to any one else. I have master degree in Obgyn from my home country and 4 hrs ObGyn residnecy I am graduate 2005, residency 2006-2010. Come to state 2010, did Ecfmg in 2011. volunteer from 2011 to 2014. No single interview.

Cut it short go Family medicine enjoy your life. I am diagnosed major depression now, around to shot my head by gon, to save myself pain of failure.
@sudha2013

The fact that no one in that program is willing to recommend you to anyone else indicates that you didn't leave a good impression to anyone... just like what you did in your post here; what does "sister in Islam" has anything to do with a professional forum discussing the medical profession and futures of doctors? Wanting to "shot your head by gon to save yourself pain of failure" just validates why people are not willing to recommend you. You maybe dangerous around other patients; obgyn residency is very stressful field and you may not be able to handle it, just like you cannot handle this residency situation, which is experienced by thousands of applicants.

Family medicine is a good alternative option for @basma11511 . This doesn't mean the one should forgo what she/he wants without a fight... it's a one man opinion. Good luck to all. Peace.

Oak ramble, is team of making joke of my situation. Let us be more respectful to each other to be as a good representative physician in front ourself first before our PATEINT's.!

Regarding sister in Islam, we as a Muslims, encouraged to advise ourself and all people who asked for sincere advise no matter his religion, so we are not fooling each other's by wrong advise the can destroy one's Career?
And we are not leaving foreigners ( just because they are not Americans) blinded in the middle of their route without professional advise.

If you want to know how we ( as Muslims ) do in similar situation like my case, you will find the faculty direct us to the right directions, say if I been showing in NOn friendly program, they should have told me from the start we r committed to our graduates, so I can find another place instead to work two years without directions or hopes. Also, if I am as program will not take someone that I know he is good I will do phone calls to recommend him to other programs.

Regarding I a, not doing well, I wanna tell you I am observing in a very competetive program and speciality and I answer all the questions that been unanswered by their resident themselves. So they are 100% sure I am fulfilling my knowledge and in a very good grasp to my knowledge. So I am fed up answering your stupid sarcasm ..

By the way, I have strong letter of recommendation from all faculties I worked with...
@sudha2013 i completely understand u and really praying for u to match this year inshallah, but i need to fight even once for my dream..im still preparing for step 1 by the way.
@okramble we are all brothers and sisters whatever the religion, race, or color..thank u for advise
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »