Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How are the Kaplan Lecture notes for CK? - candycane
Is anyone currently reading this for CK without the videos? Is it better than the MTBs for more understanding and concept building?

I tried reading a little chapter from MTB CK but it seems very short in information and background building.

Nice to hear some real experiences from people. Thanks!

only worth while is
1) OBY GYN (with videos)
2)Peds Lectures notes (contains important stuff)
3)Surgery Lectures notes( 1x with +/- videos and then stick to MTB3)
4)Pscych( MTB2+3)
5)Internal Medicine (MTB2 +3)
6)U.W (KNOW IT IN AND OUT)

Recently I have found MTB Internal Medicine book(420 pgs) and I think its much more organized esp in terms of Diagnosis and Mangement part....so you can also do internal medicine solely from there and skip mtb2,3 for IM

Things that are totally useless and time wasting are :
Kaplan Q bank
Kaplan IM lecture notes
Kaplan Psych lecture notes
Kaplan ck videos of IM, Psych,Peds
1) is OBY GYN kaplan Lecture notes,

plus always add UWSA and NBMES (4&7) in your prep
Thanks so much offpiste! Big Grin

Will we find contradictions from the Lecture Notes and MTBs? I was fearing the CK MTB was outdated for management.

Are we missing a lot if skipping the videos for OBY GYN and other subjects? I don't know how many extra hours to manage for videos and reading lecture notes and mtbs and UW O_o
Agree with offpiste
Kaplan qbank is ""Extremely very useless""
Good luck
UW is 50 times better
Big Grin oh bahina, Thank you. I hear this much for kaplan qbank hehehehe. Before usmleworld, they were the only ones who people used. Wonder what happened to them and how people all went through kaplan qbank before then.

Is usmle rx or another question set for real practice helpful? I know everyone is talking about the nbmes and clinical mastery series but that is for assessment. I meant for more learning to do better on the assessments and real exam day Tongue

Lecture( IM and Psych) notes are outdated and you will find contradiction even between u.w and mtbs but U.W is your main weapon and above reading materials will you give a base to start tackling the bank.

Dr Sakala video of OBS GYN were amazing....that's why I recommended it to you. If you have time definitely go through it 1x along with kaplan obs gyn lecture notes and then stick to MTB3+UW for OBS GYN.

CK is becoming more competitive every day that's why I mentioned only those things that will benefit you in real exam....rest you can tailor it according to your own need and time,but if you study hard for CK then you also good to go for step3 ( with the addition of step 3 uw bank and ccs)

Last thing to keep in mind is that Real exam is all about reading fast ,analysing the stem quickly and comparing the options fast. So unlike step1 you don't need to have very large bookish knowledge to ace CK but you need to be fast in digesting the info provided to you and answering it quickly and thats where U.W comes in and prepares you for this.
Big Grin Thanks offpiste! You made a lot of points and motivating advice to really think about!

I wish there was something more like UW to practice that is not kaplan qbank or usmlerx. I just hear UW makes you overthink on nbme tests. Maybe it is just rumors.
My pleasure Smile U.W is closest to the real deal....that being said there is no one resource that covers every thing for CK and real deal is far more difficult than UWSA or UW bank but the scoring curve is some what lenient....exam philosophy is to bring you under time pressure and see how well you coup with it .... The trick is to keep calm and don't get stuck on one question because exam is design to shatter your confidence and unlike step1 you are not sure about half of questions....In a nutshell prepare quickly for ck, make UW your best friend and become fast reader
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »