Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Failed step 3 twice - ranawy
I am so disappointed I failed this test twice and my 7 years limt is August 26 . Is there any hope or I have to give up?
Please any opinion.
I'm sorry about what you're having to go through. Have you done residency yet? Did you pass all the other steps on first attempt? What were the scores on those steps? All these factors need to be considered in determining what your next course of action should be.
Thank you for reply,
I didn't do residency and I finshed step 1(219)
Step 2 220 and CS all first attempt.
Then in that case there is no reason for you to give up. From my understanding, you would need to retake step 1 (or the first usmle step that you took that accounted for the first day of the 7-year period). So say, just focus on passing step 3 for now, and count seven years back from the day that you passed your step 3, whichever exam you had passed falls outside of that seven-year range, you can apply for a permission/exception to retake.

what were your scores on your previous two attempts of step 3? How did you do on CCS?
http://www.ecfmg.org/2014ib/reexaminatio...ation.html

"If you have passed a Step or Step Component but this passing performance is no longer valid for ECFMG Certification, you may request an exception to retake the previously passed exam that is no longer valid. See Retakes in the USMLE Bulletin of Information. You may only request the exception at the time that you apply for the previously passed exam. Exceptions to the reexamination policy are not approved prior to your submitting the exam application."
I am really appreciat your help and reply.
The score the first 185 and second 188 and ccs is borderline.
The link you sent not mention about 7 years or step 3 is only about the reapply for the test if cannot take it. I called them before they said depends on board and did not give explanation.
the "no longer valid for ECFMG Certification" refers to the 7-year requirement. I am sure you can call an ECFMG representative and ask to speak to a supervisor (or someone who knows more) to discuss this in more details.

It looks like CCS is your reason for not passing. A friend of mine recently did below-borderline (day 1) & borderline (day 2) for MCQs but above average on CCS and got 190 on his exam. Did you try Archer's $88 videos? I personally think that those are a-must to do well on CCS.
Yes , I did but my CCS cases were so difficult and not releated to Usmle world or archer and even mapping CCs
i think doing well on CCS is not about how many cases you practice. It's more of mastering your clinical knowledge. As long as you know how to approach any case, you will be fine even if you've never seen a similar case before. For instance, if you do the basic blood cultures/x-ray/ct/ultrasound, etc...the case will ultimately reveal itself. The most important thing is know how to approach an unknown case by ordering appropriate testings.

Regardless, best wishes to you and I hope everything will work out in your favor!
Thank you and good luck with application for residency.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »