Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BRS question 3 - alina972
A4-year-old girl is brought by her mother to the emergency department after the girl was "placed in a hot bath." The patient appears to have extensive blistering of the thighs and buttocks, with slight damage to the underlying dermis. Her burns are best described as

(A) first-degree bums
(B) fourth-degree burns
© full-thickness burns
(D) second-degree burns
(E) third-degree burns
AA
I missed this question too. I think this is a good practice question to learn about burn types because somebody mentioned that some burn question come up on step 1.

Try to answer this and then I will post the copied explanation.
@alina I have many Qs on forum ( base on Goli lecture) you can do search box. Hope that help u.
On burn.
ANS D

Second degree burn affects epidermis and dermis.
@cardio, thanks, I will look up your questions because as it turns out I am not good w/ burns. And I guess I have to listen to Gojan lectures after all Smile.
littleturtle aint so little knowledge wise. keep it up buddy
Haha, yep, @littleturtle is right. Ans is D.

Explanation:

First- and second- degree bums are both partial-thickness bums. Because the findings in this patient reveal both epithelial and dermal involvement, the bums are, by definition, second-degree in type. Both third- and fourth-degree bums are classified as full-thickness burns; they entail total destruction of dermis and epidermis along with underlying skin appendages that normally serve as a source of cells for regeneration. As such, these wounds require skin grafting.
thanks for the question/explanation.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »