Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Point me in the right direction, please. - drgshah
I am an IMG, took all my USMLE steps (including step 3) but didn't make it through the match process.
Ended up getting a Rad Onc Residency in New Zealand.
Because most of my family live in US, I would eventually want to move to US.
Being ECFMG certified and have completed all steps, does anyone know what the right process is to get to work in the USA as a Rad Onc after I complete my Residency in NZ?
Would completing fellowship in the USA help in any way?
Thanks.

If there is a better place to ask these questions, please let me know. Thanks
You need to complete residency before applying to the fellowship, yes you can complete residency in NZ and apply for fellowship in USA.
hello you can tell me how you did to get a residency in new zealand? my email id is vids1234. thank you awaiting your reply
@drgshah...could you guide me about residency training in NZ please. thanks
@drgshah....my email is= tuffusmle AT yahoo.com

Thank you
Sorry may be i am missing something here. I thought the only way to permanently practice medicine in US is by first getting a residency in US.

Even if you do a fellowship in US, you will still have to go back to whichever country you are coming from to continue your practice.
Sorry guys, totally didn't expect to see any replies to my post. Pleasantly surprised.

Once I complete a fellowship in USA (After residency in NZ), does that mean I can work in the US?
Most fellowship programs i see online require at least a year of residency in the US Sad

To answer some of your questions:
@vidhi - it involves another exam called the NZREX, which you can take after USMLE step 1 and 2CK. The exam is easy compared to Step 2CS, but has a fairly long waiting period. After you pass the exam, a further 1-2 years of waiting/trying before you can get (a very competitive) RMO job and a further 2 year before you can get into residency. If you make it that far, its the most amazing place to work!

@sublimation: happy to do so.

@wishyouluck: I thought so too, wasn't sure though as I do hear about people going to USA/Canada for fellowships and then staying on somehow!?!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »