Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nbme 18 questions and doubts - alt_ast
Hi everyone, I would like to share questions and doubts about nbme 18. Everyone is welcome to this conversation. I need some help with some of them
Thankss Smile

A 52yo woman with breast ca comes to he physician for a follow up examination. she had 4week course of radiation treatment 6 months ago. Her respirations are 26/min. Physical examination shows no recurrence of cancer. A ct scan of the chest shows bilateral patches of atelectasia in the upper lung fields. The atelectasias in this patient most likely developed because of which of the following primary physiologic processes?
a) compression
b)consolidation
c)contraction
d)obstruction
e)resorption
Ans- CC.......... due to myofibroblast activation just like in the case of a burn trauma
Thanks @littleturtle Smile

A 25 yo woman comes to the physician because of a 2 year history of intermittent cramping lower abdominal pain. The pain is usually associated with 2 to 6 days of loose, watery stools, and is typically relieved with defecation. Between these episodes, her stools are normal. Her vital signs are within normal limits. Physical examination shows no abnormalities. Laboratory studies, including complete blood count, metabolic panel and thyroid function tests show no abnormalities. A drug targeting which of the following mechanisms of action is most appropiate for this patient?
a) accentuation of bile salt reabsorption
b)accentuation of u-opioid myenteric plexus receptor
c)inhibition of colonic water reabsorption
d)inhibition of 5HT1 receptor
e)inhibition of tnf-alpha

B - she has an irritable bowel so just give loperamide
Thanks @djdlbhp

next one :
A 66 yo man comes to the physician because of 1 month history of a non productive cough and a 6 month history of progessive shortness of breath. He has no history of major medical ilness. Bilateral end-inspiratory crackles are heard on auscultation of the chest. Heart sounds are normal. A CT scan of the chest shows diffuse reticular opacities that are more pronounced at the periphery and bases of the lungs. Microscopic examination of a biopsy specimen of the lung shows patchy interstitial fibrosis, several fibroblastic foci and no granulomas. Which of the following is the most likely dx?

a) beryliosis
b)cryptogenic organizinf pneumonia
c)hypersensitivity pneumonitis
d)idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
e)sarcoidosis

I think they were asking about what disease causes lower zone fibrosis ... Confused Could be d)?
Thanks again
Yes the ans is DD idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis presented as reticular opacities mostly at lung base

How did u find nbme 18 by the way? in terms of difficulty......
i found it quite difficult, but now, when i'm reviewing my silly mistakes i realize exam day i must think right and be confident. you?
common sense is gonna be my target lol . you?
Yea same here my score dropped by 8 points from nbme 17 lol..... butt kicked hahaha

their strategy is to drop in some stuffs here and there that we've probably not seen so that we get tense n thus push us towards making mistakes on easy things n those cost a lot

But anyways that aint gonna happen on my real deal learnt my lesson Smile
Yes, totally agree!! I freaked out in the question of the cell image, what did you choose? I was wondering about free ribosomes or RER, but i didn't see free ribosomes, and I don't know what the right answer is! I thought the protein was in the cell, no needed RER, but ....I messed up this one too Sad
I dropped too... I have exam next week, but I'm encourage to give my best Big Grin
I choose RER i can vaguely remember the question, think it was asking abt an enzyme or a membrane protein which is made by the RER. Good Luck and all the best!!!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »