Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Be patient and wait - indu12345
step 1= 195
step 2 CK= 209 (1 failed attempt)
step 2 CS= passed
step 3= 191

Worked as a general physician in my country and had USCE. Green card holder, and currently working on a research project in a big university.

Got 3 IVs in FM last year but didn't match, obviously. My interview invitations came very late- December and early January.

Im not gonna ask what my chances are because I know it is slim to none. Just posting this to share to those with a failed USMLE attempt and low scores that you may not get an invitation until later this year. Don't get dismayed or get jealous when you've learned that other applicants have started receiving invitations. Be patient and wait.

old grad, low scores and an attempt too, a lot of USCE, US Citizen, no gap in CV, continuously working untill today. I had 2 interviews last yr, i didnt match. Mine also came late in December
@optimis were ur ivs in IM or FM and would you mind sharing your credentials
@indu12345 mind sharing your email address. I'm in a similar position as yourself.
did you apply just to family?

wish you well
Step1 195
Sep 2 210
Step 3 192 ( 1 attempt)
CS passed

Applied in Psychiatry last yr. I made my own list of Programs.
Applied again in Psychiatry and also in family Medicine since I have been working in FM, so I decided to also apply in FM.
I made my own list of Psych and FM.
Worked as a General Physician back in my country. For this yr, i made another Psych PS and explained everything about what i had gone thru so far including my work experience. I also talked about my low scores and an attempt.
@gannicus I applied to other specialties as well. No luck in Peds and IM.

@optimisticpositive Last year I mentioned my shortcomings in my PS. This time I removed it. Someone told me not to put it there because it would seem like you are making an excuse for the low scores.
This is what my professor told me: "If all but one of your USMLE scores are low (or 1 failed attempt) you can blame it to a bad circumstance (mother died, miscarried, war). However, if all of your scores are low (like in our case) don't give an excuse. They won't believe that you had a bad experience in your life every time you took your USMLE." I don't know if this is true in your case. But her advise made sense to me.

There is no excuse given at all. i exlained it differently. I hate to gain sympathies. I hate to even get contact interviews. I want interviews on my whatever talent I have.
I said in my PS, low scores donot exclude an aplicant from becoming a good Dr. I explained it nicely and differetly.
Unlike what you said above, not just my step 1 score is low. My step 3 is also low and it comes with a failed attempt.
Different programs sites talk different about how to write PS. So, my PS may be liked by some programs, may not be liked by others.
Destiny will decide my fate. I have done my best.
@optimisticpositive

Indeed, low scores can not hinder us from becoming an excellent doctor.
Doctors are not just 3 digit scores!

Good luck to us! Hope things will go our way this time.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »