Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running out of options - help please - sympathetic
Hi all,

I am a Caribbean medical school 2011 graduate, no visa required, 4 attempts on step 1 and 4 attempts on step 2ck, passed cs on 1st attempt. I have some Psych research which led to poster-presentations and first-authored work. I now have my MHA and soon will have my MPH. I have not taken step 3 yet due to high anxiety levels. I have not matched yet and am extremely worried about how I am going to make this happen.

Any advice on psych or family medicine externships would be very much appreciated!! Any advice on getting transitional year spots would be very much appreciated as well; are they any easier? What else can I possibly do in order to get my foot in the door and land a residency??? I feel exhausted and don't know where else to turn right now.

Please help.
How many times have you applied before and how many interviews did you get each time?
I have applied twice and 0 interviews. I believe my application doesn't even reach the program director due to getting weeded out by the computer system because of the attempts. This is why I am now looking for externships.
https://www.change.org/p/robert-m-wah-md...y-for-them
4 attempts on both steps will likely weed you of almost all programs, regardless.

I admire your tenacity though. Try looking at AmeriClerkships or Chicago Clerkships and talk to them. The best area to do externships is Chicago/Michigan.
First dont be anxious

- What is stressing you - Regret? Fear of failure again? Low self esteem?

Well: Regret - you cant change the past
Fear of Failure - well you can change the future
Low self esteem - dont be so hard on yourself - there are many in worse situations (believe me!)

Second:

- Talk to your medschool
- If you can get some work experience under your belt in the carribean it will improve your chances

Third

- Study for step 3 - make achievable goals - do 30 mins a day to start with then increase your study time

Fourth

- If you think you need professional help for anxiety please go see a MD. Even a PCP.
- Take care of yourself first.

Hope this helps.

Good luck - let me know how you are doing.
OK , yes probably the programs are not even considering your application because it can't pass the filters . I recommend you to apply to preliminary year in surgery, about 40% of spots end up vacant , but apply to a 200 preliminary programs and call them all and e mail them so they will look at your application. The other transitional years are very hard to get , they are basically for US grads . Apply now ! And also look in ERAS/FREIDA which programs ended up with a lot of vacant spots and call them , tell them that you are interested in starting working right now .
For a preliminary position a program director wont care about your step 3 , but for a categorical position is worrisome if they think that you won't be able to pass to 3 rd year resident because you won't be able to pass step 3 , so do it before matching.
Also consider that there are a few states that require no more than 3 attempts in passing any step , but there is plenty that the attempts don't matter .
If you can't find any residency , move to Missouri and work as a PA , IMGs wit ECFMG certification can work there under another doctor's license.
Jorge you can't just work as a PA. You'll need to go to school for it
I advise against taking step 3 unless you are confident you'll pass in one attempt. Score real high. 1st try. Otherwise a mediocre or just bare pass won't help your other steps multiple attempts. And it's risky too. If you fail it's another point counted against you.
Follow the advise given by @clueymd . I believe Step 3 will help, in addition to USCE. You have a tough tough challenge obviously but if you persevere anything can work out. Do have a suitable plan B. You number of attempts may be a problem getting medically licensed in many states - so that is another issue.

Ignore posts by @shielamonroeimrez .. Google 'sanjay usmle topper' to learn more about that m0r0n's fraud.
Also forget doing any USCE by AmeriClerkships or Chicago Clerkships etc . They are a waste of your money and only connect you with private practice establishments.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »