Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need advice on residency application journey - usmle4residency
Hi friends,

I am really confused that whether I will get a chance to get into residency, please need your advice and guidance

Year if graduation : 2010 ( From India MBBS)
Step1: 269
Step 2: 271

Step2 CS and Step 3 is pending and planning to give by February.

Got 25 publications in indexed international journals as a first author have done a research fellowship with 3 international awards for the best researcher

I am planning to apply for next match for GENERAL SURGERY residency , so please share your thoughts whether I should continue this journey because of year of graduation., and surgery is very competitive residency program.

Please kindly give your valuable suggestions to improve my chances, I would greatly appreciate your help and feedback
Thank you
You will match any year. Its just the matter which year you choose.
Apply this year as well as next year. I know someone who applied without CK with great step 1 score. Programs can and they do wait for such candidates.
For programs to rank you, you need to take CS def. before January, or even before that, to have your result ready in Feb.
you have a very solid crendtials..YOG is not a impediment to your route. Make sure if you choose next year you build a great lot background in Surgery, make connections, etc.
You even have chances in derm or plastic surgery, general surgery its off course yours
Thank you ranjit, I really appreciate your feedback. Many of them gave me the negative feedback because more than 7 years of gap after graduation because most of the surgery residency programs are looking for candidates who has less than 5 years after year of graduation. Even someone mentioned that my step 1 score is not enough to compensate my year if graduation.

I am in need of visa especially H1 B visa ( if possible ) , so just USCE as observership would help me? Or would you suggest anything else, most of the research programmes are offering volunteer research position under J1 category, so please share of thoughts about this.
Thank you
Hi My,

Thank you, but cat position in surgery. Most of them are giving negative about my year of graduation and step 1 is not good enough for the match
I think you have a chance! I am not sure about year of graduation, that might effect a little, and also make sure you pass CS on first attempt and do well on step 3, that can make a huge difference. I am currently applying this year to Neuro Surgery and I have 5 interviews already, and my credentials are similar to your in terms of scores, I have 250x step 1, 260x step 2, and 240x step 3, but I am a US citizen carib grad and also graduated in 2015. I also have 50+ publications already.....but I think general surgery is a lot easier to get.....I would say apply this yeat too and see what happens. Good luck!
Hi @usmle4residency, great scores you have there. Please i need some advise from you, can you mail me ayo.balo. Thank you
Hi alhamdulillah

Thank you for your time and reply. Could you please tell me how to improve my chances to get cat position in next one year period , how to improve my chances to get into the match and to tackle the year of graduation
I would say first of all take Step 2CS and Step 3 and do well....those will be of great help because it shows the programs that although you graduated a while ago, you are still up to date in terms of medical knowledge. Furthermore, do continue doing research and try to publish it, that will also help a lot. Lastly, try to volunteer with a surgeon in his clinic or something so that you have a recent surgery experience and letter of rec. I hope this helps.
Thank you alhamdulillah, I appreciate your time, it's really helpful
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »