Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Took the exam...felt like i failed. Super anxious. - med321
Hello everyone

I am a PGY-2 IM. Took step 3 last week both days back to back. I studied for 2 months. With the 2nd month serious studying. Used the basics MTB and Uworld. I got 210 on UWSA-2 which was 3 weeks out and 213 on UWSA-1 about 1 week out.

I am a slow reader and thinker. I have always ran out of time on exam, esp the USMLEs, but I feel like I lacked time on this one the most. Maybe I was over thinking the questions.

The exam
1st day- 6 blocks. Ran out of time on ALL the blocks. Had like 2 minutes left for the last 4-5 questions in each block, and randomly just marked the answers for the last 5 questions. I also skipped most of the biostats and ALL of the drug ads (again marked random answers).

Day 2: 6 blocks, same story again. 5 questions left with 1-2 minutes remaining. Again randomly clicked answers on last 5 questions.

CCS:
Made a few mistakes here and there and completely gave the wrong treatment on one of the cases (wrong abx).

Now, I am having mad anxiety everyday because ofcourse I think I failed. I didn't expect to feel good after the exam, matter of fact, I knew I would feel like crap. I was prepared for that. I just feel like I failed because I made the usual dumb mistakes on top of running out of time on all 12 blocks. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback or a similar experience and passed? I have already started studying for the exam again but I have 3 weeks of ICU coming up and I need to know if I should ask for a schedule change inorder to prepare again/ review stuff.
Btw, have been an average student in medschool, with below average to average scores on the USMLEs so far.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Hope you will pass and put all this stress behind!

First, you need to take a break. Wait till exam result appears, you never know you may pass. If God forbid, you didn't you can resume studying after learning from your mistakes. Don't change your schedule, you need to keep your mind busy and nothing like ICU rotation can help you be distracted from thinking of your exam.

Let's know about your result. Good luck!
Hey Med321

I know you're feeling too good at this time. But could you answer some of the questions for me?

1) First day- Did the questions contain micro and drugs moA? other than that, did it feel like you were taking Step 1? with multiple pathophys?
2) Day Two: Did you feel UW prepared you enough for the second day?
3) CCS: Did you do anything other than UW? Did it feel like you were prepared for it?

I'm stressing over day 1 of the exam

Thank you! I have heard from multiple people about feeling crap and making numerous mistakes, but at this time you need to remember that all you need to do is pass this damn exam. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!
I hope you do really well.
Hey spaceman83,

I'm sorry, have you taken the exam?

1) First day - Questions were like step 1 stuff yes, lots of pathophys/MOA/ a few tough anatomy questions. There is really no way to study for it. If youre trying to do well on this part, I would study FA for step 1 (not in detail quickly skim) focus on the main disease and 2-3 major points for each

2) UW did an okay job to prepare for day 2. Honestly to do really well. You need to know the following for each disease....you need to know symptoms, what sets it apart from other similar presentations, then you need to know the best ways to diagnosis, then you need to know complications, and prognosis.

CCS- only did UW. Does a good job of preparing you. Remember, for CCS, the Usmle is testing how you think and the process you use to manage patients. I think its very important that you practice every case in UW and be very familiar with the software.

overall, to be honest, i feel like the first day was easier. Idk why i think that, since I am an IM resident and have consistently scored well on my intraining exams. but i hope that helps...
hey med321

No, i haven't taken the exam. But i've also been procrastinating a bit. But would like to have it in before this upcoming match cycle since I didn't match this year.

Thank you for replying, figured you must be tired. And it definitely helps as you are likely the only recent exam taker that has wrote anything about the exam experience.
i am in need to score high, so really trying to go through a bit of basic sciences all the way to management and prognosis
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »