Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternate Career options for IMG - dreamz942
You can search for clinical case manager/ Care Coordinator Jobs. Also look for generic companies or pharmaceuticals.
Before I joined the University for doing Bachelors in Nursing to pursue a career of Nurse Practitioner. I was also on the same tract in my thoughts just like you about Nursing, being a long route requiring one to do the prerequisites before one actually gets accepted into it. I had also thought of doing MPH and/or a Ph. D in Neuroscience. But, a family friend MD talked to me in detail about how difficult it is to find a job with above mentioned associated field. She tried to convince me to go for either Associate degre or BCN degree Nursing followed by NP and be able to find a job easily anywhere with a decent salary. Nursing can be done with an Associate degree as well in a community college. It's a lot easier than BCN Nursing. Go for it before you waste time like I did.
I disagree, now there are many proposals from employers that do not require education
You can start with a free worker. By operator or writer on essay writers example https://www.wowessays.com . You will work and use your knowledge. In parallel with these, you have a lot of time for additional education. I speak from my own experience.
did you do nursing? did you go to community college for nursing or did accelerated degree nursing program?
Dear Dreamz942. I am also ECFMG certified. Graduate of 2002. I have a successful career outside the medical field. Be proud of your degree, its not only a piece of paper. It gives you an edge over other people applying for administrative jobs in Hospital and pharmaceutical setting. I am now working as senior research financial analyst but it took many years of hard work and sweat. Just think that you have to start from scratch. I can see that you have done good amount of home work. NP is great option. Also pharmaceutical and clinical trial but its extremely hard to get in those positions. In USA competition is in each and every field. with ECFMG certification but without residency, now you are competing with many bio science graduate and people with pharm D etc.
I will recommend start low. Take any job opportunity that you get. Any because that will help you. Also start studying for a degree. I will not recommend PhD because its too long and time taking. If you can learn excel/SAS programming it will be beneficial. Search Master in health informatics. Don't worry about loans. Here every one has student loan. Not a big deal. Best of luck
Thank you @ huse12 - and all others for your suggestions and sharing your experiences. I am overwhelmed reading all the responses I received.

A quick update I am now working as a project Manager managing a clinical trial in a CRO setting. Taking GCP certification really helped me. The pay is average. Unfortunately the project is on temporary hold due to COVID and I am on the look out for a new job again. I realize the tough competition in this field too. I shall try to start studying for a degree as suggested by you. I shall work towards SAS programming as well. Good luck to you to achieve so much in a career outside medicine. I admit it is quite challenging.
Hi!

Research without PhD is a dead end job and DO NOT go in PhD Unless you are absolutely passionate about the subject you are going to spend 5+ years talking about , studying, researching, eating, drinking, sleeping on etc... this is a painful process which can get more painful if you end up with a PI who does not like you or will push you to do things which you do not agree with. I have seen this a lot. The end result, a great job is not guranteed, like a biopharma, FDA job.

Have you looked into a physician assistant course? Salary is good here.
How about lab technician/ pathologist technician---short course and with a year or two of experience you are likely to get Pathology residency.

There must be some accelerated NP course.
I attended a Community College nursing program and became an RN. It is doable in two or three years. Not super expensive either. There are scholarships too. Currently, I am working as an RN. It makes it easier to reach out to the US physicians for LOR and at the same time, it keeps you in clinical settings. with money coming from your job you can go for BSN and then DNP programs while keep trying for residency. All we can do is keep trying. Everybody's situation is different. One decision/path doesn't fit all. But hearing from others sometimes helps. Good luck.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »