Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need guidence - aysha
I am a graduate of 2006. Step 1 score 202, Step 2 score 197, Passed Step 2 CS in 2nd attempts and step 3 in multiple attempts. I have one and a half year of research experience. I have four months externship in Obgyn doctors office and four months in Family medicine's doctor's office. Can someone please guide me which specialty should I apply to? Pediatrics, Obgyn or Family Medicine.
as you have less scores it will be better to go for pediatrics or family medicine. But if you go for pediatrics you need to have rotations in pediatrics it can help the application better. You can get the LORs in the specialty you want to apply for match.
Family medicine I would say but it's hard to find family medicine program which have graduation cut off >10yrs.
Try to look for Family Medicine as you have multiple attempts you need to gain multiple hands-on clinical experience in FM specailty for making the CV strong and shows that you are clinically active. You will also get strong LORs. Try to make connections it can help in getting IVs.
From a PC - Unfortunately, your scores and YOG will automatically filter you in ERAS and your application will not be seen. With the number of applicants increasing each year more than triple the number of residency positions created, programs have the upper hand and are very choosy. I know of no programs who do not use ERAS filters to decrease the number of applications to review for interviews. It is a reality.
Hello smartpc - are you a program coordinator ("PC") ?
Can you tell us how the ERAS Filter works?
My MD (IMG) graduation is 2000 but my PhD is current and, I am applying for research-track positions which require MD-PhD
- So, how will the ERAS Filter work in cases such as mine?
@smartpc
any idea how to bypass these filters?
in otherwords how to make contacts, PC,s and PD,s dont reply to your emails
Hey Maanas, what I did was wrote to all the PDs or PCs, each one, about 250 of the psych programs. You will get reply from a fraction of them, say 30 and that's the best I guess we can do
Best wishes
Hey Aysha- sorry, your original post got steered away from what you expected.
I think FM will work for you (OBG experience will count into FM, if you can smartly word your PS) - then you can say you had 8 months of FM experience -that a huge number.
Best wishes buddy
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »