Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IMG Failed Step 3 more than once? What is next? - smile14
IMG Failed Step 3 more than once? What is next?
I am an orthopedic practicing consultant. I have failed my step 3 exam 3 times. I tried all the available courses in the market. No luck yet.

I am writing this to share my experience with you guys in order to help those who are going through the same dilema. Initially, the step 3 exam is not easy as we all were told. It needs preparation and practice within a planed schedule and time frame. My first attempt was 2015, have attended Kaplan live for 8 days and solved part of their question bank and Uworld after that. I remember reading most of Kaplan notes, Master the board and solved Uworld Q bank and CCS cases. No NBME was attempted that time. MY score was 187. Paasing score 196

I decided to prepare again and set for the exam since I am almost there and would pass EASILY. My thinking was to do some quick review and Q bank again and set for the exam. It took me 3 weeks to finish them. I decided to set for the NBME assessment test and my score was just a joke below 200. I decided to do little more serious preparation and have read on USMLE forum about the Brochert's Crush Step 3: The Ultimate USMLE Step 3 Review. It was not easy to read neither to understand, however, I completed the book and went through Uworld Qbank again.

Surprise!! Failed again.

Orthopedic surgeons known to be hard headed, you shoould belive it. I decided to do more preparation this time and set for the exam. I bought First Aid step 3 and spent 4 months reading and trying to memorise it. I have had no enough time to know this bok ins/out. It was not easy for a full time orthopedic consultant working in 2 hospitals to finish it and could not understand all non ortho topics. Why would I care about detailed stroy of baby in his mom's uterus making noise before been deliverd. I could not put the material together after completing the First aid book.

I looked on line again and found a website for level assessment and guidence. It was not worth it at all. They charged me 325$ for 1 hour consultation. However, they recomended I focus more on CCS ( great idea)and they belived my basics are not enogh and I should read step 2CK materials. ( heart beats more than usual or decided to dance; how would you stop it) !!

I gave up and thought no more step 3 attmpts. For no reason, I decided to go through this experience again and finish it. Step 2 videos and took 3 weeks off and wanted to improve my basic knowledge and have better prep for this time. I finished the course which was great and knew much more than i realy needed for step 3. NBME 280. After reviewing all the material again and again and have reviewed Uworld for the 5th time i thought i would probably pass this time. I needed to work on my CCS. No online course was found that time. I found someone who tought me online for 75$/hr. He suggested CCS cases from a commercial website rather than Uworld. I have done all of that. Exam completed and result was FAIL again.

Stuck and did not know what to do. I have read Kaplan notes, DIT, First aid, Crush , Sep 2CK material. CCS one to one, CCS course, CCS Uworld, Mapping CCS and not passing yet.

I explained to him my situation and sent him my reports to show him how bad were my performance and told him about my experience.

I have changed the Qbank this time, I used Board Vitals to focus on my basics and U-world selectively for some topics to review topics with low performance. My NBME this time 400+

Result : PASS with high score.

The moral of the story:
Find the right mentor who can do accurate analysis of your performance
Focus on your weaknesses rather than do it all
Do Not give up.
Good, did you get matched?
I am going to fellowship. I already matched.
USMLE Passage
After failing, twice with Kaplan, I passed the USMLE easily.
were u already a resident in US when u were attempting for step 3? which subject did u match?
Drug Safety Physician & Medical Reviewer is an excellent career of choice for physicians with long term career in US. ACCRE Accredited - US focused Drug Safety & Medical Reviewer Certification, Internship & Career Guidance.
Fully matriculated graduate studies in medicine, experimental psychology, epidemiology / biostatistics, health policy and finance, have prepared me very well.
BACK PAIN
BREAST CANCER
CORONAVIRUS
DIABETES MELLITUS
HEART SURGERY
KNEE SURGERY
LUNG CANCER
LYMPHOMA
OPERATIONS MANAGER
PROSTATE CANCER
VACCINES
appendix-recruiters

ALLIED HEALTHCARE THAT INCLUDES CLINICAL TEMPORARY POSITIONS FOR INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL GRADUATES IN PRE-RESIDENCY PHASES
EPIDEMIOLOGY
PHYSICIAN PLACEMENT
md instructors
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »