Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chances of matching-YOG in 2000, Mph and PhD in US - medphed
I graduated in 2000. Passed step1 with 235, but got less score in step2 (just passed) in 2003. I Did Mph and PhD (with good GPA)
from US universities and worked as a researcher in a highly reputated hospital in USA for 6 years. I have many publications including in nature. I am planning to take step3 this year. I wonder if there is a chance to match if I score high in step3 (aiming for 240-250). Any advise is highly appreciated. I am an IMG and require visa sponsorship. Thank you in advance.
This seems great credentials. Definitely step 3 is a must since they may look at you as an outdated clinician, given that you are an old graduate and passed step 2 more than 17 years ago !!.

Academic programs may appreciate your PhD more, you should email the PD of the programs of your interest after applying and highlight that you have MPH and PhD, and that you have recently passed step 3.
In many instances the applications get filtered out by a coordinator who would primarily look at your year of grad and your scores, that is why emailing programs would be encouraged in your case "email the PD not the coordinator"
Dear MdPhD - I guess we both are in a similar boat.
As braveheart_2020 says, I guess we need to email the PDs and tell them that we have done our PhDs.
I am trying to apply to ptograms which offer "Research track"

Dear braveheart_2020 - how do we send emails to the PDs? Can I find it on the ERAS-webpages?
Par469
The PD email might be available on the ERAS program page.
Many programs have the PD emails, or coordinator emails or some generic email like IMresidency@...edu

If you can only see the coordinator email, try to figure out the PD email by seeing the format of the email being used at that program. For example, if coordinator named "John Smith" and his email is john.smith@xoc.edu. it would make sense that the PD email should be something similar "first name.last name@xoc.edu. This may not always work, but better than nothing.
Also you can check the ACGME website, look for all the accredited programs in the specialty of your interest. Many of them have email contacts for the PD
Thanks braveheart buddy - bless you
Thank you guys for your advise. I guess we have to make a list of the programs that take old grads and have research track. Please advice me how to find if a program has research track.
Hi medphd, Which specialty are you applying to?
I was advised to apply to regular residency programs as well along with the research track - just to maximize our chances of interview
I made a list of 22 programs which has an "Official research-track ERAS" residency programs.
Now I am trying to enlist all Universities which may support my research interest though they offer only "general residency" track.
Any advise how to go about it?
I am planning to applyto Internal medicine, I am open for any opportunity though.

@par469 do they sponsor visa (those 22 programs that you selected)? Do you need visa sponsorship?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »