Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old img residency application and medical license - img919
Hello Guys,

I am an old Img ECFMG certified in 2013. Unfortunately I couldn't complete step 3 in 7 years time frame and apparently not eligible for medical licensure in many states.

I am planning to apply this season but I am confused if I should apply to only those states in which I am eligible for medical license.

Do you need to get medical license during residency before moving to third year of residency? I heard some states like California require that.

Do you need to be eligible for state specific licensing requirements to train in a residency program?

Thank you in advance for the help.
Yes, most of the programs require to finish step 3 by PGY1 and to be eligible for license in their state.
The 7 years requirement applies for "unrestricted license" not for educational limited license which residents have.
Most states require educational limited license for the first 3 years of residency, and other states like New York state you will not need license for the first two years of residency.

You can apply anywhere. However, given that you are an old graduate with old USMLEs, definitely you have negative aspects, and you need step 3 to compensate

Thank you Sam2019 and Braveheart_2020
Hello friends,

Even I need some information regarding usmle exams.

I also got ECFMG certification in 2010. Due to some reasons , I could not take step 3. My step 1 and 2 ck scores are above 235. All exams in first attempt.
I am doing MD medicine in India.
I just want to know whether I can apply this year or not. My scores will be valid or do you I have to retake my exams again .
I am preparing for step 3.

Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks
Hello Simrit
Your scores are valid, and you can apply

But as stated above, in long term, after finishing residency, many states require step 3 to be completed and passed within 7 years from the first passing score for any USMLE step you had, to be eligible for unrestricted medical license.
Some states have 10 years limit, and other states have no limit.
You can get away from this by submitting a waiving letter to the medical board where you will be applying for license explaining your situation.

As far as residency is your concern, you need only "educational limited license". not "unrestricted medical license". However, you seem like an older graduate with 10 years or older USMLE scores, this would make your application non-appealing to programs when you apply. The fact that you are still practicing medicine in India make you eligible to apply and compete with other applicants.
You would need to apply to small community hospital internal medicine programs and family medicine programs, your chance might be higher with them.
Thank you very much braveheart .
Is there any way I can apply to fellowships in medicine in the US after completing residency in Internal Medicine .
Please enlighten on this matter. Thanks in advance.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »