Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what to do with MD degree without residency? - muktip06
Hey guys. I wanted to see if anyone can give me advice on what I can do for the future. I have applied for residency but have not been lucky so far, so I want to continue on with my life. I was thinking of what I can do, some options are: start Masters (MHA or MPH ... not sure which is best for me yet) or get a job. A little bit about myself: US IMG from the Caribbean, done with Step 1, 2CK, 2CS, have my ECFMG certificate.
I wanted to see if anyone can give me advice on what I can do regarding masters or getting a job. If a job, then what kind of work can I get with my MD degree and ECFMG certificate.

Thanks in advance!!
You can apply for job to be a research coordinator in University Hospitals. Actually, I'm doing a MPH program in Community Health.
Unfortunately, I believe things are more complicated today days. I came to realize that the ECFMG certification does not have a real weight (if none at all) when applying to job where international physician knowledge can be handy.

In contrast, the having passed the step 3 is a different story. This may give you a push certainly with the very scarce "house physician" (https://flboardofmedicine.gov/licensing/...hysicians/), that sometimes hospitals in the states of FL and NY may open, as well "Assistant/Associate Physician" (https://assistantphysicianassociation.com) positions. Still, those positions are so difficult to find (usually they are only posted in the career website of each hospital instead of indeed for example) and so connections-dependent that it should may you think better.

However, coming back to the first point, the ECFMG certification may only "label" your medical training and knowledge as "verified" at the academic level...but in practical term, employers do not care about labels, they only care about relevant experience.

If you pursue clinical research, they will be looking at certifications or courses you accomplished in reliable American institutions AND a minimum of experience.

If you pursue faculty positions, you also would need to demonstrate a minimum of experience.

If you pursue biomedical research, well, are you PhD at least? Have you known lab/bench work? Nobody with with this job market would be willing to train you just because you are an international physician, there are so many Ph American Graduates out there that why to bother?

It is better that you think to afford American certification in any field, at least to be attractive for the American job market.

Or have a nice connection, a friend, that give you the chance of an entrance...

I would look into doing a direct entry MSN program - you probably have all the prerequisites, and could become a nurse practitioner in 2-3 years. With an MD education, and the prescribing authority of a nurse practitioner, you could make a good salary and have plenty of options.
1). To become a Nurse Practitioner, you need to be done with BSN nursing, that's what I was told and am currently enrolled for the Program.
Nurse Practitioner do make a very good salary ranging from 120-150k annually. However, it's long way to go. Same true for Physician Assistant. But, PA admission is highly competitive and you apply broadly and randomly all over the US similar to Residency application after clearing a GRE. The GRE scores are taken in to consideration.
2). NYITCOM is an Osteopathic Medical (4 yrs). Again, their admission is also highly competitive. They have 35 seat for Foreign Medical Graduates.
3). MPH is a 1-2-3 yrs program depends how fast you want to do it. The salary is not too good may be 30-40k annually, could be little bit higher. I quit it 2 yrs ago after I was accepted into it and before my classes started. The best decision of my life. After I saw those text books, I figured , I am not made for MPH. It's all epidemiology, health statistics etc.
4). Ph-D admission is competitive too in Neuroscience, biochemical science, Admission into a Ph-D program also require a GRE. Actually, GRE is not hard for studious people who have passed usmle.
Ph-D is a five yr Program. The same amount of time to become a BSN Nurse and NP. With Ph-D your chances of matching could increase, however, residency cannot be guaranteed.
It took me some time to decide what I actually wanted to do in life.
You decide what you want to do. Being a Dr. you would certainly like interacting with patients, then go for PA/NP. If it's destined for you to get a residency, you will. Your luck cannot be stolen.
If you like to go into research, then go for GRE for Ph-D program. They love foreign med grads in their program being done with usmle. When I applied, they loved my application and interviewed me. However, I wanted to become NP.
https://www.nyit.edu/degrees/osteopathic..._do_emigre
dariasmo

The above link requires a licensee's no? How can one have US Medical License no unless one's done with US residency.
99faith

There are some states with MD licenses that are considered partial (who always overseen/supervised by total licensed MDs) and address MDs who are not board certified (no clinical residency), but who have passed the step 3.

To my understanding, Medical Officers (MDs working for the military and prisons), and "house physicians" in FL, are clinical positions , that issue those partial licenses.

Sometimes I have heard mentioned a "pathway" when those available positions are posted online for Medical Officers or in USAjobs, I do not remember the exact name of that pathway, however it is clear that is an alternative source of candidates besides the board certified MDs.

A way I found out was regarding special 1-year internships in Puerto Rico, if you have the step 3 passed as IMg, you are eligible to apply for those interships, and if accepted and you finish such position, you will qualify for that special license, which in turn makes you eligible to apply for Medical Officer positions.

But the application process there is not easy at all, in addition that you need to speak fluently Spanish, you have to compete with Puerto rican med schoolers for those scarce interniship positions.
Yes, I have heard of that pathway.

I know an elderly MD graduated in era of 1970s became MD after working under the supervision of a few MDs. They talked to the State Medical Board about his experiences, competency level etc. was licensed, later got into fellowship and became a cardiologist.

Residency in Puerto Rico ain't easy to get into. Fluency in Spanish is mandatory.
Hard place to be. You can try applying in New Zealand or Australia. Even Canada. It might be challenging, but if you really love medicine then try outside the US. Check if you can do research or observerships (hard with COVID). Otherwise, google PA programs. Some RN programs might credit your premed courses.

Best of luck!

FilipinoDoctor
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »