Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USMLE Step 3 test taking eligibility
Hi all,
        I am an old IMG planning to take step 3. I graduated med school in 2008 and finished USMLE steps 1 and 2 in 2012. Since then i have been working on bench research (melanoma and breast cancer). Now i want to go back to residency training. Can i still take the Step 3 exam? According to https://www.fsmb.org/step-3/state-licens...4ilaXTXZlc, many states require that i should finish step 3 within 7 years after i received my ECFMG certificate? In that case,  what should i do? Should i take the exam in those states that do not have this requirement, for example, Florida? In that case, should i just apply the exam of the state at FSMB? what other requirements should i be aware of? In that case, when i apply for residency programs, can i apply all the states or i can only apply those in the states that do not have this requirement 7 year requirement?

Second question is , Minimal postgraduate training required? What does it mean for IMG? How do i have that 1 year requirement?

If anyone of you can help me understand this, i really appreciate it.

I am also studying my step 3, trying to get my language back. If anyone of you can give me a hand, i can join your study group and audit. I am in EST time zone. If you know any clinician that i can shadow/do observership in Connecticut area, please let me know. I really appreciate it. It has been a long journey for me indeed. I am very stressed.
(01-26-2022, 11:13 PM)Hi ,Did you get feedback regarding this post?I am in the same situation. How are you preparing for Step 3? Wrote: Hi all,
        I am an old IMG planning to take step 3. I graduated med school in 2008 and finished USMLE steps 1 and 2 in 2012. Since then i have been working on bench research (melanoma and breast cancer). Now i want to go back to residency training. Can i still take the Step 3 exam? According to https://www.fsmb.org/step-3/state-licens...4ilaXTXZlc, many states require that i should finish step 3 within 7 years after i received my ECFMG certificate? In that case,  what should i do? Should i take the exam in those states that do not have this requirement, for example, Florida? In that case, should i just apply the exam of the state at FSMB? what other requirements should i be aware of? In that case, when i apply for residency programs, can i apply all the states or i can only apply those in the states that do not have this requirement 7 year requirement?

Second question is , Minimal postgraduate training required? What does it mean for IMG? How do i have that 1 year requirement?

If anyone of you can help me understand this, i really appreciate it.

I am also studying my step 3, trying to get my language back. If anyone of you can give me a hand, i can join your study group and audit. I am in EST time zone. If you know any clinician that i can shadow/do observership in Connecticut area, please let me know. I really appreciate it. It has been a long journey for me indeed. I am very stressed.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »