Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
surgery at Bronx-Lebanon -
Laxmiprasad

Can anyone let me know about surgery program at Bron-Lebanon,NY
Sathish - sbabun

Hi there,
Bronx-Lebanon Medical Center is situated in the grand concourse in Bronx in New York city.It's a run down Hospital serving the violent Bronx area,the program director of Surgery is Paul Gerst MD a Cardiothoracic surgeon who has given up Cardiac surgery and into thoracic only,he is an old man with old ideals,his secretary Ms.Saundra King is an important lady and is well known in the association of program directors ,she is influential and Dr. Gerst relies on her for everything,she looks down upon candidates with low scores,they have a cut off score of 80.

Surgical residents consist of highly qualified FMGs mostly Indians.There's no research and it's service oriented.Being a surgeon myself I wouldn't recommend anyone to that center.There are chances you could get stuck there forever and it's unlikely to get privilages in surgery from that place which may affect the surgeon's group practice later, you need to be in a center where you develop confidence right from the begining .Though it has complied with the 80 hour /week regulation it is still less enjoyable to train there.

good luck

Dr.Sathish
London
Laxmiprasad

Hi Satish

Thanks a lot,where should I try for surgery?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »