Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
suggest for residency program -

Hi, Everyone,

I need advice for my residency program. I already got a offer to get into a family practice program even before I take the USMLE due to my successful rotation. But I am worried about my futrure career since I know family practice is pretty much community based.

Can you tell me wether or not I should take the offer and relaxingly pass USMLE with a lower score and then consider a switch or I should work extra hard to bring up my score and apply for a accademic program?
M.K.

Hi,
Its great that you're being offered a post- but don't be too flattered - you still have to do yourself justice. you owe it to yourself to do the best you can. With hard work and application your score may even excel when combined with the kowledge that you have something to fall back on. Remember, you'll never know when a good score will come in useful, and it's better than a lifetime of explaining a low score and making excuses every time youre asked about it
We all have to be prepared for an unexpected turn in fortunes - we have to be prepared for a life we don't yet know.
So be good to yourself - you'll be greatful for it in the future
With best wishes, and all kinds of good luck to you
M.K.
Dr.Ali

Dear Guest,
First of all congratulations on getting a residency offer.
It is indeed an amazing thing to get an offer even before one has given his STEPS.Congrats once again buddy.
Family Practice , to what i know is quite a good speciality and they rotate you in almost all of the speciality wards during the 3 years of your residency.It has comparatively relaxed working hours as well.If i were you.....i would just give my best shot at the STEPS, and try getting into a residency of my choice(INT.MED.) but if GOD FORBID.......i were unable to get thru , then ......the options are clear......go for the post already offered (FM) : )
BTW ....pls. can you tell me what kind of rotation you did ...... i mean, observership? or electives? are u an FMG?
please reply .
thanks.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »