Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
visa -
IMG

Hi. I am participating in this years match but I think I would not have the time to take the step 3 which is a requirement to obtain an H1 visa. I am thinking of settling for J1. My question is, can I change my J1 status to H1 when i get married to my fiancee who is an american citizen?We have been together for 4 years and are planning to get married march next year. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

dude

no u cant change yr status to any kind till 7 year wheteher yr fiancee is us citizen or not .... thats 101% sure , as i have been to all this research as my wife is too gc holder .
yes if u have h1 from very statrtin g then u can manupulate yr status.
bottom line is no change of any sort if u r on j1 tilll 7 yrs.
alex

you can't change your visa from j1 to h1 ,,, whatever the circumstances are .. you should do 3 years waiver or go outside US for 2 years ,

but the ideal solution for you is to get married very soon , and get temporary green card . so you don't need any kind of visas

good luck
dude

yeah thats a very nice advice from alex .. get married as soon as possible and get a work permit which u will get as yr wife is citizen... and u will be needing no viza restriction.
dude
img-

how long it will take to get work permit?
lisa

I was last year in the same situation. I took my CSA in late December and I was planning to go through the Match on J1 visa. In January I got married, my husband is US citizen. Luckly I didn't have any interview because if I had been matched , it would have been the bigest mistake....to go on J1 visa.
I applied in January-February for the EAD and I had it in March, but programs usually don't know what an EAD is and when you fill the ERAS form you still have to write your visa status (like B1 in my case)....which is very confusing.
Now I have my green card (from early December) and they called me for interviews cause Permanent Resident status is easier for the programs....to understand and to deal with.

This was my experience.
lisa

correction:
When you have the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) you have to fill on ERAS profile
citizenship: foreign national
visa: EAD
It's confusing and many programs don't understand what this means...they will think you need visa.
Anyway, you better try to get the EAD than beeing on J1.
dude

if yr spuse has gc can it changes yr status
KK

spouse should have filed ur name when getting the GC there are still some loopholes try talk to attorney findlaw.com
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »