Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
step 1 in dec 1st week - usmlestudystep
thanks a lot sarahmle !!
there will be platelet dysfn in CRF which is reversible with dialysis ..( goljan RR)

can you explain this why? bc increase in Urea?
In chronic kidney disease both bleeding and thrombotic complications are observed. It has been hypothesized that this disturbed balance between pro- and anti-haemostatic factors is involved in the high morbidity and mortality reported in chronic kidney disease [1-4]. Early stages of chronic kidney disease are typically associated with a prothrombotic tendency, whereas in its more advanced stage patients also suffer from a bleeding diathesis [5].

Bleeding tendency of patients is characterized by haemorrhagic symptoms and by prolongation of bleeding time [6]. The cause of bleeding in this group of patients has been elaborated in the past and the pathogenesis seems multifactorial. It is suggested that abnormal platelet function is a major contributor, since haemorrhage occurs despite a coagulation profile of normal or elevated levels of coagulation factors and normal platelet counts [4,6]. Platelet dysfunction may be the result of decreased dense granule content, decreased sensitivity to platelet agonists, abnormal expression of platelet glycoproteins, defective arachidonate metabolism and depressed prostaglandin metabolism as well as impaired platelet adhesiveness. Platelet dysfunction is thought to be caused by the action of uremic toxins, anemia, increased nitric oxide production, von Willebrand factor abnormalities and the use of medication like aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and β-lactam antibiotics [4,6-8]. Besides an increased bleeding risk, a variety of thrombotic complications are observed in patients with chronic renal failure, including coronary heart disease, cerebrovascular disease, peripheral vascular disease and heart failure. Already in mild to moderate chronic kidney disease an increased risk of cardiovascular events and higher mortality have been reported
i got this from some study
posted in website
hi buddies..am inn.planning to give step 1 in december.doing uworld 2nd time along with FA first reading..i feel like i am gaining something this time lol..nice group..gud luck to all.
hey every1 happpeeey study...xako,usmlestudystep,i don't think its the top that matters,i think its the climb!!we have to climb this persistently,and we will reach the top..sarahusmle,can u kindly tell me the imp chaps of neuro???,,,guys keep workin,i have the same problem,im unable to achieve my daily target no matter how much I try and the target aint that big but its just time takin,but I try not to panic,cos panic is only gonna take me further away from my target,and then a vicious cycle of panic will start..so just stay calm and try to focus,in the end everything weve read with focus is gonna count..goodluck everyone..
@meridaaa yes! "top" is the day after the exam hahaha we all need that

yea man icing is bad... I can say i do that every day, few times a day lol

Im doing neuro now, anatomy and pathology, listening to Kaplan lectures and studying from FA, is this enough?
@xako ..listening to kaplan lectures are the same as those kaplan videos? or if different can u send the link please? GL ol .
nd aint u doing UW simultaneously?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »