Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
img pathology applicants - pathdoc
thanks pathdoc-
you are a godsend :-)
Please stick around.............
amygdala, one way to find out how open the program is to IMG is to go to their websites. Most of them have a link like "Residents" with graduation history. I often see whether they have IMG there or not. Also some websites have a link like "application process" with some specific info about IMG.

ycl
thanks pathdoc for your support,, as you said pathology is very competitive and also popular among the US graduates. Florida programs are not very IMG friendly and a friend of mine said that Mount Sinai Miami Beach program does not offer FMGs interviews if they have not done mini residency at their program. But as far as I heard NY, NJ, Penny, and Ohio, and Michigan programs are pretty IMGFMG friendly.
to didoctf: when I was in Miami 3 yrs ago they were already starting to call only the FMG's who were known by the service, I guess now it's even more competitive, not surprisingly. They do offer 1 month rotations there in path and you guys should be aware of it (they cost 300u$/mo, and you have to sign up with a few months in advance sometimes). This kind of rotation is a great addition to a CV and an opportunity to get valuable letters of recommendations, not to mention a chance of getting a spot there. MSMC does offer H1b Visas, or at least did as of 3 yrs ago. Great hospital, great location.
Dear Pathdoc, ycl, and dicoctf,
thank you so much for your information. This is very helpful. I am not applyign in Florida or the west or the midwest. Only northeast and midatlantic, Especially MD and DC and VA. So you guyds dont think any of these are IMG-friendly programs.
ycl, I do check the residents in their website. When is your rotation starting? I dont think you need to read up much. Path people are very understanding in realizing it is specialized material, they will not test you. Depending on the subspecialty, you could just read websites, to familiarize with the terms.
amygdala, my rotation starts in late Oct. I guess I do not need it for a lor because it might be too late for the application when the rotation is done. It is place far away from my home. I will have to travel 3-4 hours everyday on the road, which is really something I dislike, especially, I have two young kids at home to worry about. But I do not want to blow away this opportunity either. I think it is like a one-month interview for me. I will pray for the strength to handle it.

Thanks, you all.

cat
ycl,
Good luck with that...that's going to be very tough, but know that everyday you are doing this for you kids and that you won't be inconvenienced for long. Also, even though it is in October I would get the letter anyway ...ask a little over a week before your rotation ends or leave a self-addressed stamped envelope with them so they can mail it to you. God forbid you have to go through this thing again, but you will have more letters that are speciality specific if you do....and you can always add it to your existing apps...some places don't even sit together as a team to assign interviews until October. Stay positive.
To ycl: I deeply admire your heart and courage to do all this. Give me 2 kids to take care of and I'll drop dead in exhaustion in a matter of days. If you could get this far taking care of 2 kids, there's nothing you can't do. Please let me know if I can help in any way. I'll be happy to PM you as well.
Hi ycl,
I know it will hard with kids and if you have to drive, but it is only one month and it will be over in a jiffy. I was lucky to have my mother with my kids , when I observed. Even then I was quite worried about them. But they were just fine. Kids are resilient. And you will do great. Get the letter if they willl and add it as the fourth LOR or mention in your interviews that you have a few more LORs.
good luck.
mindspin, pathdoc and amygdala, I am really encouraged by your words. I will keep you updated about my progress.

Many thanks,

ycl
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »