Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
img pathology applicants - pathdoc
Hi pathdoc,
Thank you very much for answering my queries personally. i really appreciate it.
mlegirl
to pathdoc:
Hi. Just curious, did you get a management lecture today?

to everyone: We've just got a management lecture today provided by CAP. To cut the long story short, the future of pathology is unclear. Most likely by the end of our training we will look at the computer monitors, rather in the microscope. There is a process of consolidation and globalization, so most likely our employers will be huge pathology groups, rather than small 4-5 pathologist practice. Financing is going down in every field of medicine, but pathology is on a very unstable ground at this point. Competitiveness of pathology most likely will go down for a while at least among American graduates, because of an uncertain situation about future prospective.

My own feeling about all of this: I don't care. I wouldn't do anything, but pathology anyway. Besides, I like the part about computers. It means work at home.

GL everyone.
Hi Bunny,
How is it going?
I have no more calls since last week and I just spend my time checking email and forums. Do you remember last year when you got the bulk of your interview calls?
Your management lecture news does not sound good to us Pathology aspirants. It is strange that this is comig out now. I heard Path jobs will outsourced in the future.
Whatever it is, looks like there is no turnign back now........
amygdala, i do not think path job will be outsourced. i think it is more related fact that programs train more and more residents but older ones are not ready to retire.
amygadala, bunny actually said the same thing about job market in another early thread.
which I had not seen, I guess, library. How is it going? I just stayed away from internet today.........
To Pathdoc: Thank you so much for your valuable comments on Pathology residency and answering related queries on this forum. I am an old (> 10 Yr) graduate with recent PhD in biomedical sciences (with publications) from a US University. My Step 1 score is 248/99. If I get good scores in rest of the Steps, may I expect interview offers from Pathology programs? (I have no USCE and need visa sponsorship.) What do you think? I shall highly appreciate your response.
Hey bunny, yes I had that audio conference today. That guy did not sound too optimistic, I agree, but the truth is: this people making predictions about job market say a lot of things, some are optimistic some are not, but the one thing they have in common is - they're usually wrong. There are so many variables in this game that the future is anyone's guess. Two decades ago people predicted a decline of the radiology market because laboratory test and genetic/molecular markers would give us an answer for almost everything. People just would get exposed to radiation for no reason. WRONG - several new image modalities came along and the field is busier than ever. When virtual endoscopies appeared they predicted a steep decline in the GI market - wrong again - virtual colonoscopies never really became standard of care, and if anything they only serve to send to the GI labs more patients with suspected polyps or tumors for endoscopic biopsies, excision etc. The only thing I believe is: markets fluctuate - a favorable market today, may become very unfavorable in a few yrs, than good again after a while... Choosing a field based on how good the market looks today is just not a smart thing to do. Choose what you like and hope for the best.
to amygdala: I started to apply only in October last year. As I remember my very first invitation from WashU was on 4th of October, in the beginning of November 4 invit. came in a row and later on in the beginning of December another 3 almost altogether. The very last invitation was around 15th of January with an interview date on 2nd of Febr. Actually, I ended up in that program.
to library: Well, I don't want to disencourage anyone. Pathology is a great field. All specialties in medicine experience some financial difficulties, so pathology. By the way, our PD commented the last management conference; the job market actually is going to be better than now, however the amount of reimbursement for service will decrease.
GL everyone
Hey supor, congrats on your step one, that's outstanding. Your credentials overall are great, you should be fine. My experience with path programs and the match is very limited, because I transfered from medicine to path in a large university program. I only interviewed here. I do have plenty of experience from when I applied to medicine and interviewed in 20+ programs, and from what I gather things work just the same for path. As a foreign grad, three things are key: USMLE scores, US clin experience/recommendations, and the interview itself. Extra stuff (such as you PhD, pubs etc) will certainly help but are not as essential. When a specialty becomes popular among US grads, program will give preference to them. If the supply of at least average US applicants is enough to fill all the program's spots, they will usually not interview foreign grads. For this reason, getting a position at a more prestigious institution becomes very difficult. Nowadays, this is the case with pathology. So here's my advice: apply to as many programs as you can, selecting all regions and programs you find acceptable. I'd apply to most community hospitals and smaller academic centers. For larger, more competitive programs, I'd check if historically they've been accepting foreign grads (you may check their website - resident profiles), and apply if they take fmg's or if you have contacts there. Applying to a few big name programs doesn't hurt, but just don't bet all your money on those. For the smaller academic centers and community programs, it's still quite doable to get a good position in path, especially with your credentials. Make sure you pace yourself to get step 2 and 3 done in time for the H1b visa if you're interested in that. Well... visa is a whole new discussion.
Congrats again and good luck
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »