Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME 13 answer key - jasmin000
Can someone please email me the NBME 13 answers with explanations....the download is not working for me. hopefully before saturday july 28! lol

dr.sneakerpimp
Missing Q's from Block 1:

A retrospective study is conducted to assess the incidence and outcome of subarachnoid hemorrhage in a midwestern state. The annual incidence of this condition is 15 per 100,000 people and the case fatality rate is 40%. Based on these data, which of the following represents the annual mortality rate for subarachnoid hemorrhage per 100,000 people in this state?
A) 0.4*15
B) 0.4*100,000
C) 0.6*15
D) 0.6*100,000

Ans: A) 0.4*15

A 54-year-old man comes to the physician because of a 2-week history of burning epigastric pain. He is recently divorced. His diet mainly consists of fast food. He was treated for H. pylori infection 1 year ago. He uses high doses (600mg daily) of over-the-counter ibuprofen for chronic joint pain. Abdominal examination shows tenderness to deep palpation of the epigastric area. A peptic ulcer is suspected. Which of the following is the strongest predisposing risk factor for this patient's condition?
A) High-fat diet
B) Ibuprofen use
C) Ingestion of alcohol
D) Recent psychosocial stressor
E) Smoking cigars

Ans: Not D because I got that wrong. Any other suggestions?

A 9-year-old girl is brought to the ED by her father because of severe pain in her right shoulder after a fall 1 hour ago. Physical examination shows pain on movement of the right shoulder and a tender right clavicle. An X-ray of the shoulder shows a nondisplaced fracture of the right clavicle. Which of the following structures of the clavicle will most likely assist in producing new bone to heal this fracture?
A) Epiphysis
B) Haversian canal
C) Lamella
D) Periosteum
E) Volkmann canal

And: D) Periosteum

Missing Q's from block 2:

A 60-year-old man comes to the physician because of a 2-week history of fatigue and exercise intolerance. One month ago, he was diagnosed with stage 1 HTN and began treatment with propranolol. His pulse is 56/min, compared with 72/min 1 month ago. His treatment is switched to pindolol. His symptoms resolve within 1 month, and his pulse is 68/min. Which of the following mechanisms of action of pindolol best explains its effect on this patient's heart rate?
A) Competitive agonism
B) Competitive antagonism
C) Inverse agonism
D) Partial agonism

Ans: D) partial agonism

An investigator studying the molecular events in the underlying causes of an autoimmune disease develops a collection of monoclonal antibodies to ribosomal proteins. One of the monoclonal antibodies is found to inhibit the ribosome peptidyl transferase. Which of the following is most likely affected in the presence of this antibody?
A) Assembly of 80S ribosomal subunits
B) Attachment of amino acids to tRNA
C) Dissociation of the 80S ribosomes into 60S and 40S subunits
D) Establishment of covalent bonding between amino acids
E) Release of the mRNA from ribosomes

Ans: D) Establishment of covalent bonding between amino acids

A 9-year-old boy is brought to the ED because of fever, chest pain, and migratory joint pain in his shoulders, hips, and knees for two days. Four weeks ago, he had a febrile pharyngitis, which resolved 2 weeks without treatment. His temperature is 39C. The lungs are clear to auscultation. A pericardial friction rub and quiet heart sounds are heard. Throat cultures do not grow any pathogens. Laboratory testing shows increased antibody titers to streptolysin O. The greatest risk for death at this time is from which of the following?
A) Aortic stenosis
B) Embolism
C) Mitral insufficiency
D) Myocarditis
E) Septic shock

Ans: D) Myocarditis

A young adult couple has been unable to conceive for the past two years. The woman has regular menstrual cycles and takes no contraceptives. A semen analysis shows:
Quality: Normal range
Quantity: Normal range
Color: White
Fructose: 5% of normal content
The most likely cause of this couple's infertility is deficient activity of which of the following in the man?
A) Adenohypophysis
B) Bulbourethral glands
C) Prostate
D) Seminal vesicles
E) Testes

Ans: D) Seminal vesicles
Also, corrections to the initial post (I don't know if anyone else has brought this up already)

Block 1
19 - B - Interferon-gamma receptor deficiency
46 - A - adhesins

Block 2
26 - E - inability to produce hydroxy-halide radicals

Block 3
3 - C - leukotrienes

Block 4
3 - E - interferes with translocation
10 - C - microscopic examination of the stool for ova and parasites
42 - E - polymerization of hemoglobin with hypoxic conditions due to amino acid substitution in the beta chain
Sorry, correction block 4 #2 is E (not 3, which is B)
***** Corrections ***** to the explanations I posted

Block 2 q 23 the correct answer they have seems to be (A). Honestly I can't understand the logic behind it so I can't give a good explanation but apparently they want you to understand that calcium sequestration is associated with muscle relaxation, that is decreased tension, and so the frequency which has the most periods of relaxation (decreased tension) would have the highest sequestration of calcium

Block 3 q 7 the correct answer is (D). I got confounded by the question stem because it apparently contains an error as, to the best of my knowledge, beta chains are not found in fetal HB which contains alpha and gamma chains only. B-chains are normally found in HB A1 (adult HB). Compared to Adult HB, fetal HB has a higher affinity for oxygen mainly because the gamma chains in it can’t bind 2,3 BPG as the beta chains do in adult HB.
I apologize for those mistakes, and please try not to use the offline form or these explanations as a method of self assessment as it might be misleading. I did my best to make these explanations with the intention to primarily help those who need to know the answers to the questions they got wrong on the online forms and understand them, which is exactly the type of help I needed before the exam and was lucky enough to find it here on this very helpful forum. Best of luck everyone!
Block 1 question 7 the answer is E (Goljan Rapid Review page 214 E-2b)
Block 1 questio 8 the answer is E (it binds 50s blocking translocation) FA page 75
i have got new usmle resources such as the books which is almost new and many dvds and Videos of materials that help pass the exam , in addition to new qbanks which is valid till now , i am willing to resale it for a reasonable offer
including kaplan hy , kaplan IM and mtb by dr.conrad , UW, dit,medstudy , all are 2012 ...etc .
contact me at : jordialba99

god bless and thanks....
Onyx Question 10 block 1 NOT C ---> The pharm agent is fomipezole: Inhibits alcohol dehdyrogenase to prevent Formaldehyde formation.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »